Lost data during refresh

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Scottowner

Lost data during refresh

Post by Scottowner »

Due to a potential virus threat I refreshed my computer. I thought that I had saved my Open Office data,but in fact I had not. Open Office 4.1.6 shows in the list "Apps removed while refreshing computer". Is there any way I can retreive my old Open Office data ? Thankyou.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Lost data during refresh

Post by Bill »

Apps and data are two different things. Removed apps need to be reinstalled, but it's my understanding that a refresh doesn't remove user data, so your data should still be where you saved it, but you should ask about Windows 10 problems on a Windows 10 forum (I no longer use Windows 10).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Re: Lost data during refresh

Post by RusselB »

The only time I've heard of data being lost during a refresh, is when the refresh gets more up-to-date data, thus the old data is (potentially) lost.
Your OpenOffice data are the files that you have saved. There is the potential that a system refresh could remove the OpenOffice User Profile.
Doing a system restore, which is what it sounds like you actually did, rather than a refresh, could explain why OpenOffice is in that list.
If that is the case, then just redownload the OpenOffice installer from http://www.openoffice.org/download and reinstall it.
To minimize the chances of this happening again, create a Windows Restore Point after OpenOffice has been installed.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.