[Solved] French dictionary activation fails

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
juerg_b69

[Solved] French dictionary activation fails

Post by juerg_b69 »

I just installed OO 4.1.6 on a clean new installation of windows 10, latest update! I'm working with OpenOffice since the time it was called StarOffice! I never faced so much bugs as I see with this version on windows 10!

Installation of dictionary extensions failed systematically! Message:
(com.sun.star.lang.DisposedException) {{{ Message = "Binary URP bridge already disposed",
Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) ©92a7954 }}}

So I changed to OpenSuse Leap 15.1 and LibreOffice. Every dictionary I chose installed smooth and worked also without any problem!
I went back to OpenOffice on Win 10 and I loaded the oxt downloaded with LibreOffice into OpenOffice. At least all were loaded in. Hence test now! French didn't work. So going to the ExtensionManager I tried to activate the dictionary. Didn't work. Message:

Binary URP bridge disposed during call

I'll drop OpenOffice now trying to get up LibreOffice! I hope this works on windows 10!
I'm sorry to speak about this very poor experience. I guess some people should have a serious look at such kind of problems, because experiencing such problems shows clearly missing seriosity.
I'm sorry to say.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.12 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: french dictionary activation fails

Post by RoryOF »

French dictionary (Dictionnaires français 5.3) works OK for me using OpenOffice on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (and earlier)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

French dic 5.4.1 also works for me on xubuntu 19.04 with AOO 4.1.6.
Have you downloaded a version compatible with AOO?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
juerg_b69

Post by juerg_b69 »

No surprise. It's not the dictionary, it's OpenOffice! I changed for LibreOffice, and it works! The Problem is Oracle, though OpenOffice is given to Apache now. I experienced the same with Glassfish EE-Server. Perfect tool as long as SUN was behind it! Then came Oracle and everthing get bad and worse! I'm sorry to say. But Glassfish 5 is out since December 2016, but still it doesn't work. You can not so much wrong during the installation. But when you try to start you get nothing but a long list of errors. If you look 2 years later it's still the same! So goodby OpenOffice. I need a tool which works. Welcome LibreOffice!
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] French dictionary activation fails

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, AOO works very fine so the problem was with your configuration. But you've found a fix, that's the point.
juerg_b69

Post by juerg_b69 »

I'm sorry to say, it's not my configuration. On a freshly installed windows 10 with nothing on it, but the latest fixes from MS, configuration can't be the point. Please take this statment seriously! Bugs are bugs and can't be resolved by searching problems where they can't be!
It's true, I haven't any problems on the previous Win 7 install and the previous version of OpenOffice. So some thing is wrong. When during my active professional time as a SW-Engineer and Architect I ran into such kind of problems, I didn't stop until having found the origin of trouble!

cheers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It works fine on both my GNU/Linux and MS Win 10 machines, as it does for thousands of users. Else there would be tons of messages in the forum.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Similarly for me, on all my Xubuntu machines and on my Windows XP machine.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

juerg_b69 wrote:On a freshly installed windows 10 with nothing on it
Well, this is not clear. Did you have installed OpenOffice with correct privilege?
You must run the installer as an administrator.
juerg_b69 wrote:Installation of dictionary extensions failed systematically!
What kind of installation did you run: for all users or only you?
juerg_b69 wrote:Bugs are bugs and can't be resolved by searching problems where they can't be!
On the french forum, we have tons of users complains with the same speech.
After control, the bug is located between the seat and keyboard.
juerg_b69

Post by juerg_b69 »

Aha, and the error messages were generated also between seat and keyboard! eh?
windows 10 was introduced 3 years ago or even before? I guess it will be hard to find tons of users with the same problem after such a long time. I suggest to look seriously at the problem when you try to install on a clean new installation of windows 10 x64 with all patches installed and a new installation of OpenOffice without any previous one. And remember, before to chage what ever of configuration, try to download any extension and to install it. Prior having done that you should not pop up excuses. Wait until having arguments!
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

juerg_b69 wrote: Wait until having arguments!
Why you don't answer to my previous questions?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Last post in this topic because anyway it goes nowhere: honestly, I think that the problem is here:
juerg_b69 wrote:I went back to OpenOffice on Win 10 and I loaded the oxt downloaded with LibreOffice into OpenOffice.
The code is now quite different between LO and AOO and a LO extension may be loaded in AOO but it doesn't mean that it will work.
Was that extension labelled compatible with AOO?
juerg_b69

Post by juerg_b69 »

I'm sorry to insist, but this is not the problem. Before having tried that, I used the regular extension Manager. French dictionary was shown with an exclamation mark. That’s why I tried to activate, which resulted in the error message communicated. Then I tried to use the EM, to download which not worked at all, and then I went to Leap 15.1 To see if it works. It worked without any problem, and then I went back and tried to install the French dictionary downloaded by the browser, which is identical to the dict used by LO. This way I could at least install, but with the exclamation mark mentioned. And of course activation didn't work. Beside as for my Epson scanner no driver is available anymore for windows 10, I had to setup windows 7 pro 32bit in a VM. The only way to be able to use the scanner further. I'm used to convert the scanned documents to pdf through OO-Writer. As OO is smaller as LO I installed the OO-Writer. After Installation I verified the available dictionaries just for fun. French dict was installed, but decorated with the exclamation mark. Activation? See above. I'll never use it in this installation, so I just dropped!

@Bidouille
Of course I installed in both cases as first user, i.e. with administration rights. And of course, I installed in both cases for all users, though in the second case there will never be an other user than me! Maybe you should take your French users more seriously. Errors may often be 60 cm before the screen, but not always!
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

juerg_b69 wrote:Of course I installed in both cases as first user, i.e. with administration rights.
No, you are wrong. You must run (installation process) as administrator :
capture.png
capture.png (72.42 KiB) Viewed 2900 times