[Solved] Text missing when document printed Margin settings?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Something Not Quite Right

Post by Bill »

Wallace1297 wrote:
Bill wrote:In LO, select Format > Page. Click the Page tab on the Page Style dialog. What are your Paper Format and Margins settings?
After I click Format - Page it goes straight to Page Style Default so I can't click the Page tab on the Page Style dialogue because it's already there.
Nothing wrong there. The title of the dialog has two parts. "Page Style" is the name of the dialog. "Default" is the name of the page style, so any changes you make on the "Page Style: Default" dialog will be to the Default page style.
Wallace1297 wrote:What I see is Paper Format - User (don't understand why it isn't A4 or Letter)
Width 21cm
Height 27cm
Orientation - Portrait
"User" is shown because someone changed the width and/or height to something that does not match A4 or Letter. A4 is 21cm x 29.7cm and Letter is 21.59cm x 27.94cm.
Wallace1297 wrote:Margins - Left - 0.30cm
Right - 0.00cm
Top - 0.00cm
Bottom - 0.00 cm
A 0.00cm margin tells the printer to print all the way to the edge of the page, but your printer manual says that it can't print closer that 3.0mm to the top, 16.7mm to the bottom or 3.4mm to the sides of the page. You need to change your margin settings to make the margins larger than the unprintable area.
Wallace1297 wrote:I tried changing the Paper Format to A4 and printing out Page 1 only. Still missing a line at the bottom and 2 letters from top to bottom on the left.
You also need to change the margin settings.
Wallace1297 wrote:I would like to have the footer settings (bottom of the page) to be as close to the bottom as possible. But even with Times New Roman set at 9 it still prints to about 3 cm above the bottom of the page. I used to have this set perfectly but for some reason unknown to me it all changed so I'm on here looking for help. I just don't understand how things can change on their own - seemingly.
Unless there's a bug in LO, someone did something that changed the settings.
Wallace1297 wrote:My old settings were 3 mm in from the left of the page and about 17 mm up from the bottom. If it's at all possible I'd like to have it back that way.
Just do it.
Wallace1297 wrote:Even if I change it to those settings I worry that the printer won't comply.
Don't worry about it. Just change the Paper Format and Margin settings. If it doesn't fix the problem, then you can worry about it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Wallace1297

Post by Wallace1297 »

OK here are the Page Settings I went with before printing out my 28 page document.
For some reason the document started printing from the last page to the first page instead of the other way around.
Afterwards I had a look at File - Printer Settings - Properties - Page Set Up and from there I noticed that to the right of 'Copies' the box 'Print From Last Page' was checked/ticked.
Now, I didn't do this, I know for a fact that I didn't, so how come that box was checked ?
Even when I unchecked the 'Print From Last Page' box and clicked 'OK' I saved the file and came out.
I went back in and - would you believe it - the box was again checked.
I unchecked the box and re-done what I'd did before and this time the box remained unchecked - good. Or so I thought.
One more time just to make sure - the box was checked.
What's going on here ?
Also, during the print out of the 28 page document I noticed that despite the left margin being set to 0.60cm there was still a portion of the first letter of each entry missing from the printed area on the left margin. A small bit of each letter from top to bottom on the left was missing.
During the print out I happened to run out of paper - I put some more paper in and resumed the printing only to see that the printer was printing out the rest of the document with virtually no space on the left margin.
Now, as you can see from the screenshot titled 'Margin' it says 0 cm despite that it can clearly be seen that the small portion of the document list here has ample space on the left.
So how can it be 0 cm if there is space on the left and yet the Page Area says 0.60 cm ? Or to put it another way - how can one part of the document say 0 cm (Left Margin) and another part say 0.60 cm (Left Margin) ?? Isn't that a contradiction ? Or what am I missing ? Apart from a brain, probably. The printer is seemingly printing as if it has been told that there is a 0 cm margin and even when it was printing with space on the left (before I ran out of paper) as if it was printing with a 0.60 cm margin and yet it was still missing a small portion of each letter on the left.
Also, I just can't understand why it's printing so far from the bottom of the page - about 3.3 cm - I feel I could get at least another 9 lines in there.
I do honestly hope I've made this as clear as day.
Attachments
Please see here.
Please see here.
Please see here.
Please see here.
Libre Office 6.3.0
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Wallace1297 wrote:OK here are the Page Settings I went with before printing out my 28 page document.
For some reason the document started printing from the last page to the first page instead of the other way around.
Afterwards I had a look at File - Printer Settings - Properties - Page Set Up and from there I noticed that to the right of 'Copies' the box 'Print From Last Page' was checked/ticked.
Now, I didn't do this, I know for a fact that I didn't, so how come that box was checked ?
Even when I unchecked the 'Print From Last Page' box and clicked 'OK' I saved the file and came out.
I went back in and - would you believe it - the box was again checked.
I unchecked the box and re-done what I'd did before and this time the box remained unchecked - good. Or so I thought.
One more time just to make sure - the box was checked.
What's going on here ?
I don't know. That option is provided by the printer drivers supplied by Canon for your printer. That option does not exist on the printer drivers for my Epson printer, but there is an option "Print in reverse page order" on File > Print > General. If you have that same option, maybe it is checked and is overriding the other option, but you would have to verify that. I can't.
Wallace1297 wrote:Also, during the print out of the 28 page document I noticed that despite the left margin being set to 0.60cm there was still a portion of the first letter of each entry missing from the printed area on the left margin. A small bit of each letter from top to bottom on the left was missing.
During the print out I happened to run out of paper - I put some more paper in and resumed the printing only to see that the printer was printing out the rest of the document with virtually no space on the left margin.
I don't know. Maybe the paper wasn't properly aligned.
Wallace1297 wrote:Now, as you can see from the screenshot titled 'Margin' it says 0 cm despite that it can clearly be seen that the small portion of the document list here has ample space on the left.
So how can it be 0 cm if there is space on the left and yet the Page Area says 0.60 cm ? Or to put it another way - how can one part of the document say 0 cm (Left Margin) and another part say 0.60 cm (Left Margin) ?? Isn't that a contradiction ? Or what am I missing ? Apart from a brain, probably. The printer is seemingly printing as if it has been told that there is a 0 cm margin and even when it was printing with space on the left (before I ran out of paper) as if it was printing with a 0.60 cm margin and yet it was still missing a small portion of each letter on the left.
Also, I just can't understand why it's printing so far from the bottom of the page - about 3.3 cm - I feel I could get at least another 9 lines in there.
You're assuming that 0 on the rulers is aligned with the top left corner of the page, but 0 on the rulers is aligned with the top and left margins when text is selected. If an object like a picture or table is selected, then 0 on the rulers is aligned with the top left corner of the object. Select View > Text Boundaries and this should become evident.
Wallace1297 wrote:I do honestly hope I've made this as clear as day.
One other thing. You have set the Paper Format to Letter. If you're printing on A4 paper, you should set the Paper Format to A4. That incorrect setting is what's causing to 3.3 cm of unprinted space at the bottom of the page.
Wallace1297

Re: Text missing when document is printed; Margin settings?

Post by Wallace1297 »

I tried printing with an A4 setting before - same result. But I'll try again just to make sure.
Also, when this problem first arose I did notice (before I came here for help) that 'Letter' was the Paper Format originally and yet my document was flawless, i.e. before this issue.
But I'll crack on and do as you suggest and get back to you. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel now.
Libre Office 6.3.0
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Wallace1297 wrote:I tried printing with an A4 setting before - same result.
That's not logical. When you're printing on A4 paper and the Paper Format is set to A4, the printer will leave the bottom margin of 1.67 cm that you have set. If you change the Paper Format to Letter, the printer will print the page as if it were Letter size. Since Letter size is 1.76 cm shorter than A4 size, the actual bottom margin on the printed page will be 1.67 cm plus 1.76 cm or 3.43 cm.
Wallace1297

Post by Wallace1297 »

You are right. I tried again this time setting the paper to A4 and printing off just Page 1 of the document, it worked.
Libre Office 6.3.0
Windows 10
Wallace1297

Post by Wallace1297 »

Printed off the document in full with Times New Roman set at 10 - the way it was before this issue occurred.
Everything went fine. It seems that Libre Office and my Printer are talking again.
I can't thank all of you who helped me here enough. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. :D
Libre Office 6.3.0
Windows 10