Calc won't keep text and hyperlink separated

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Mopsgesicht

Calc won't keep text and hyperlink separated

Post by Mopsgesicht »

Hi,

I hope you can help me!

Whenever I have a cell with plain text and a Hyperlink in it, everything looks fine - until I save my sheet and re-open it. Calc will have formatted the WHOLE cell as a Hyperlink, removing all breaks. Here's a pic - below is how I wanted it to look, above how it looks like after I re-opened the document.

What can I do to prevent this? :(

Regards
Tam
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Calc won't keep text and hyperlink separated

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum. Your post was still in the moderation queue, that's why you didn't see it.
Please note that your picture doesn't show up and that we hate pictures, anyway. You can upload a sample ods file showing the problem, with one cell showing the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Does not happen here. See attachment
Attachments
topic_99173.ods
(7.89 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mopsgesicht

Post by Mopsgesicht »

Could the problem be that I have to save the files as .xls ? :(
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Mopsgesicht wrote:Could the problem be that I have to save the files as .xls ? :(
Yes. Save the document in ods format to verify it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, of course. Foreign file formats are always a problem, no matter which software you use.
OpenOffice -- and its successor LibreOffice too -- treat cell text with hyperlinks in a special way. The text is interpeted like a snippet of a text document. What should the program do when saving in a file format that does not know any snippets of text documents as cell content? Same thing when you save an Open Document Spreadsheet in Excel when using featuers that exist in Excel but not in the specification of the Open Document Format.
See also: [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mopsgesicht

Post by Mopsgesicht »

Unfortunately I *have* to save the files as .xls, and I also *have* to use OpenOffice. So is there no way of finding a work-around for this problem? :(
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The answer is _always_ to work and Save in ,ods format, Saving As .xls only when file is complete. However, if there is a problem with conversion to .xls, that will persist.
 Edit: A workaround: separate your text and your hyperlink into separate columns; this will prevent the cross formatting from the hyperlink to the text. Calc is not designed for subtleties of formatting. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS