Post by AntiCensorship »

I Lost all my Unsave Files due OpenOffice ask for FirstName LastName
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10 (64bit)
floris v
Volunteer

Re: I Lost all my Unsave Files due OpenOffice

Post by floris v »

Can you tell a little more?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
AntiCensorship

Post by AntiCensorship »

You know how often OpenOfficeWriter got back to
First Name
Last Name
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I don't. The only time that should happen is when the configuration files with your custom settings get corrupted. If that happens a lot on your computer, something is wrong on your computer, not with OpenOffice. I have never encountrred a situation with open files where OO asks me for my first and last name, in well over 15 years or so.
So, did you have open files that were lost, or can't you find your files in the "recent files" menu item?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
AntiCensorship

Post by AntiCensorship »

I did Check "recent files", there won't there.
Lastnight I Open them then today turn on Laptop they were gone due OpenOfficeWriter ask for
First Name
Last Name
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

That's right. When you get that request for first and last name, OO resets the so called user profile, there's a tutorial about it in the Tutorials section of this forum. The good news is that your files are still there, OO just doesn't remember that you edited them. Tou will probably find them in the My Documents folder.
Nederlandstalig forum
AntiCensorship

Post by AntiCensorship »

floris v wrote:That's right. When you get that request for first and last name, OO resets the so called user profile, there's a tutorial about it in the Tutorials section of this forum. The good news is that your files are still there, OO just doesn't remember that you edited them. Tou will probably find them in the My Documents folder.
How will I Find my files, i not tech user is there youtube video show how to "Tou will probably find them in the My Documents folder"
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One may get the request for first/last name due to over-hasty close down of OpenOffice and/or the computer. Close OpenOffice using /File /Close, then close the computer using the Shutdown procedure; wait about ten seconds after the "OK to shutown" message before cutting the power or closing the laptop, this is to allow the internal buffers of the hard disk flush to the platters.

Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with an OO document open.

The files should be on the hard disk in the location in which they were originally saved. You should be able to navigate to this location by using /File /Open and using the navigate keys. This is elementary computer use. Youtube videos may be available - search for them if you need them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

You open file locations by using an application named "Windows explorer". The easiest way to start it is the "Windows-E" keyboard shortcut. Hold down the Windows-key while you push the letter E.

In the opening window of Windows Explorer you should find a link to the Documents folder. (Assuming that your computer is installed with English for primary language, the folder will be named "Documents" or "My Documents".)

The Windows-key is the one with an icon like a slanted window. There may be two or more on your keyboard, but at least you should find one near the lower left corner.
AntiCensorship

Post by AntiCensorship »

Nothing from the above 2 posts is helpful
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AntiCensorship wrote:I did Check "recent files", there won't there.
Lastnight I Open them then today turn on Laptop they were gone due OpenOfficeWriter ask for
First Name
Last Name
You didn't lose your files because OpenOffice Writer is asking for your name information. The information Writer is asking for and the recent documents list are stored in your OpenOffice user profile. Something that happened on your computer corrupted or removed the user profile.
AntiCensorship wrote: How will I Find my files, i not tech user is there youtube video show how to "Tou will probably find them in the My Documents folder"
Yes, there are videos on YouTube. Search YouTube or Google for "Windows Explorer", "File Explorer" and "Windows Search".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

AntiCensorship wrote:Nothing from the above 2 posts is helpful
Why are those posts not helpful?

If you want us to help you, you have to tell us what you need help with. We cannot remake your documents for you, and our competence is in computing and software use, not divination.

So please, tell us why, so we can adjust our advice:
  • Did you not understand the wording of the posts?
  • Are the explanations difficult?
  • Were you unable to perform the steps as given?
  • Did you try, without getting results as expected?
  • Did you not find the Documents folder?
  • Did you find the Documents folder but it was empty?
  • Unhelpful for some other reason?
AntiCensorship

Post by AntiCensorship »

explanations difficult? yes it
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

OpenOffice is difficult to work with, more difficult than some of the very simple programs like Paint and Notepad. You should get used to working with simple Windows peograms before starting with difficult ones like OpenOffice, or MS Word. Ask a friend to explain the basics, view some youtube tutorials or read help files.
You have to make an effort to describe the problems that you have. Just like we make an effort to understand your description and to offer a solution.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

And in your signature, you have wrote:OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10 (64bit)
Using this very old version on Windows 10 is not the best manner to avoid this kind of problem.