[Solved] CTRL-O doesn't open dialog

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
James Steiner

[Solved] CTRL-O doesn't open dialog

Post by James Steiner »

I installed OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.557] yesterday and CTRL-O, or File, Open does not give me a file browser. I also have the same problem in Microsoft Word. I have to use Windows Explorer to find files and Open, or Open With to get the file opened in the word processor of choice.
Last edited by floris v on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tagged Solved based on last post by OP
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.557]
floris v
Volunteer

Re: CTRL-O doesn't

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum.

You probably have a problem with your keyboard if Ctrl+O doesn't work in AOO and Word. Have you tried with other programs as well, like MS Paint?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
James Steiner

Re: CTRL-O doesn't

Post by James Steiner »

MSPAINT does not have the problem. It opens the Windows Explorer mini-file-browser and lets me select documents to open.
DaleEMoore

Re: CTRL-O doesn't open dialog

Post by DaleEMoore »

I've been helping James with this problem and using the Menu, File, Open does NOTHING. No file browser pops up allowing us to select the file to open.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I have no problems with Ctrl+O or File -> Open on my Windows 7 systems.
I do not have (or want) a Windows 10 system to test.
That said, I'm going to suggest that you ensure that your Windows 10 has all of the updates (I have no idea from the version number).
If you have all of the updates, or if you still have the problem after all of the updates have been successfully installed, my next suggestion would be to uninstall OpenOffice, reset your OpenOffice Profile, download a fresh version of OpenOffice, then install the copy that was freshly downloaded.
The suggestion to get a fresh version is to, hopefully, ensure that the version you are installing hasn't been damaged.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Can you continue editing the currently open document after selecting File > Open? If not, then the dialog is opening off the screen. In that case, just move it back on the screen (ALT+Spacebar > Move).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
James Steiner

Post by James Steiner »

Thanks RusselB! I've uninstalled OO and still get the same failure from Word. I know of nothing else around that time that could have this effect. Other programs still File Open. I'll try the profile, and fresh version within the next week.

Thanks Bill for the thoughts! Nothing seems to happen when I click the open icon, or go to the File Open menu. There are no new tasks present.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Try Tools -Customise - Keyboard, check that Ctrl+O is actually assigned to the open file procedure.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
DaleEMoore

Post by DaleEMoore »

That's a lovely thought, but even File, Open does not work. There's something underlying that the OpenOffice installation broke and even uninstalling OpenOffice does not correct. And the thing that's broken (file browsing at File Open) is broken for Microsoft Word also.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

James Steiner wrote:Thanks Bill for the thoughts! Nothing seems to happen when I click the open icon, or go to the File Open menu. There are no new tasks present.
That's consistent with the dialog opening off the screen. It doesn't answer my question about being able to edit the currently open document.
DaleEMoore wrote:That's a lovely thought, but even File, Open does not work. There's something underlying that the OpenOffice installation broke and even uninstalling OpenOffice does not correct. And the thing that's broken (file browsing at File Open) is broken for Microsoft Word also.
I doubt that installing OpenOffice would break the display of the Open dialog in MS Word. OpenOffice uses the system Open dialog or the Open dialog provided by OpenOffice. If I recall correctly, MS Word uses a different Open dialog provided by MS Word. Installing OpenOffice would not modify the code in MS Word that displays the Open dialog in MS Word.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DaleEMoore

Post by DaleEMoore »

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier; Bill. Doing a File, Open, pushing the icon for File Open or doing a CTRL-O does not launch anything and does not effect editing the currently open document. I continue editing as though nothing ever happened.

I lean in the same direction as you thinking that OpenOffice should not be able to turn off Word's File, Open capability. I only link the two failures because they both occurred after OpenOffice was installed and I was immediately trying that operation in both programs.
James Steiner

Post by James Steiner »

Hmmmm.. uninstalling OpenOffice did not repair the situation. (I didn't think it would:(

I'm running the Settings, add/remove programs, MS Office, Repair hoping for some improvement. Nope, no improvement there either.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The Ctrl+O (File -> Open), to my knowledge, works at the operating system level, thus a check to see if you may have a corrupted operating system file might provide the solution.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

RusselB wrote:if you may have a corrupted operating system file
+1
So start Windows 10 in 'Safe Mode" and run OpenOffice to test if this shortcut works.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

There may be some security software which has detected OpenOffice as hostile and denies access to file dialogs.
It may also be that software has been installed outside of the proper software folder (usually "Programs (x86)" for OpenOffice in Windows). This disallows some access to external libraries (Java, dotnet), which may give symptoms as indicated.

Try menu item Tools - Options, and expand/select branch Open Office - General in the left pane. In that dialog there is a box to tick under Open/Save dialogs. Toggle the setting for Use OpenOffice dialogs and see whether that makes a difference.
James Steiner

[Solved] Re: CTRL-O doesn't open dialog

Post by James Steiner »

Sorry Bidouille, I didn't try Safe Mode.

Thanks keme, "Use OpenOffice dialogs" fixed OO's Open.

EVERYONE THANKS TONS!