OO 4.1.6 crashes, can't uninstall, remove, or reinstall

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
wimpy

OO 4.1.6 crashes, can't uninstall, remove, or reinstall

Post by wimpy »

In the last 3-4 days, I've been encountering Open crashes. Single user, no Malware, No new software installed on my Lenovo Thinkpad. After the 4th or 5th crash, thought I could do an uninstall, & reinstall to correct whatever issues had developed. I had another issue last week with another program & determined there was a W10 update. I went back to a previous restore point & turned off updates.

W10 won't allow an uninstall (or nothing happens when I've attempted to do an uninstall). This forum said I could do a remove. I've rebooted after downloading a new copy of 4.1.6. & only have Explorer open to select the OO file. I've chosen & tried all of the options, modify, repair, remove the program, as the process starts, "Please wait while the Wizard uninstalls OO 4.1.6...."

As soon as this Window pops up, another window opens "Please exit OO 4.1.6 & the Quickstarter before you continue...." There are no other programs open.
But as soon as OK is chosen, I get the following window:

Installation Wizard Completed
...Wizard was interrupted before OO could be completely installed...please run setup again.

What have I got to do to uninstall & reinstall the 4.1.6 files so I can resume using Open Office?
Open Office 4.1.3 (Build 176831) on W10
RoryOF

Re: OO 4.1.6 crashes, can't uninstall, remove, or reinstall

Post by RoryOF »

Are you using Win10 or Win10 S ?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

Sorry, didn't realize you had responded.
W10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Open Office 4.1.3 (Build 176831) on W10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The message "Please exit OO 4.1.6 & the Quickstarter before you continue...." indicates that the system thinks that there is an OpenOffice process in memory.
It is possible for a process to be in memory even when the program is closed.
Open your Windows Task Manager (in Windows 7, I would use Ctrl+Shift+Esc), then look through the Processes tab (Windows 7) for any processes that have soffice. Note the initial s
If you find any, do an End Process for that process until there are none showing.
At that point you should be able to do a re-install (or, possibly, Repair, if that option is given) of OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.