Converting Microsoft Word to OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
bbamm

Converting Microsoft Word to OpenOffice

Post by bbamm »

Converting Microsoft word to Open Office. I have tried to upload a Microsoft word file 106 pages to Open Office. It reformats. I can not make the margins equal. Microsoft word in page set up were Top 1", Bottom 1", Top 1", Bottom 1". Gutters were .50 top & bottom. Paper format was width 6.00" Height 8.50". But Open office changes things, doesn't show gutters and therefore the document ends up being 127 pages. What do I do?
Apache Open Office 4 41.6
RoryOF

Re: Converting Microsoft Word to Open Office

Post by RoryOF »

As OpenOffice is not a clone of MS Office, you wil need to adjust your formatting in OpenOffice to give the result you require. Critical formatting is best carried out only on one computer using one application and set of fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bbamm

Post by bbamm »

Thanks but I can't seem to figure out the margins on Open Office. I do not see gutters and can only find to change one page at a time. Can't seem to change whole document. Any suggestions please
Apache Open Office 4 41.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If your document is converted from MS Word, it is probable that it has many pages of format ConvertN style, where N ranges to the total page numbers. Verify this by /Format /Styles and Formatting (or F5 key) to open the Stylist. Press 4th icon from left to select Page Styles; use selector on bottom bar of that window to show "Applied styles". If you select any of these styles and press Delete, it will be replaced with Default page style.

You can modify the Page Styling for any Page Style and define new style by right clicking on a page style and choosing New from the popup. Margins are set on the Page Tab, and the style is named on the Organiser tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS