4.1.6 not acknowledging lang paks for spellchecker

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
TalonsPryde

4.1.6 not acknowledging lang paks for spellchecker

Post by TalonsPryde »

I have installed both the US and the UK english language paks and in the F11 settings, they neither show up nor do they perform the spell checking. I have check as you type. I spell a mix of US and UK words so need BOTH to make sure I am not messing them up.

The reset the user is not working at all to fix this mess. This started right after I updated and fixed the everything underlined.
Open Office 4.1.6 on windows 7 with sp1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: 4.1.6 not acknowledging lang paks for spellchecker

Post by jrkrideau »

Maybe do a complete reboot and then see what language, if any, shows in the format bar at the bottom of the reason.

Make sure that the overall language Tools > Options > etc and the language in the default style match.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
TalonsPryde

Post by TalonsPryde »

Does match. I will try the reboot later. The spellcheck is not so critical at the moment as to need a reboot.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

To SpellCheck in English, you need to install the English dictionary. Language packs are used to change the UI interface language. Language packs don't contain dictionaries for SpellCheck.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
TalonsPryde

Post by TalonsPryde »

So where do I get a COMPATABLE dictionary. All the ones I have found are for 3.x or earlier?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The English version at least includes the English spellcheck with both US and UK flavors.
Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
Or see [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Dictionaries are supplied as extensions, so you can use the Extension Manager to download them. In OpenOffice, select Tools > Extension Manager. On the Extension Manager window, click "Get more extensions online...". On the Extensions page, search for "English dictionaries for Apache OpenOffice". That should find the extension containing the standard English language dictionaries that are compatible with AOO 4.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04