Problem opening files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Jmike

Problem opening files

Post by Jmike »

I've been using OpenOffice for quite some time, but this morning when I tried to open any of my files I got a pop up error message which said "The requested operation requires elevation."

Can anyone help resolve this ?

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: problem opening files

Post by RoryOF »

This is a Windows message; a search on your favourite search engine will turn up a number of similar questions. This post at Microsoft may help, or try this web search
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
danaandcheryl

Re: Problem opening files

Post by danaandcheryl »

I have been searching for days to figure out why I cannot open ANY OO files. I am getting the "REQUESTED OPERATION REQUIRES ELEVATION" error. I noticed it on my external USB drive so I checked my USB stick and my internal drive and all are doing the same thing. If I attempt to right click the file and click "open" I get the error, if I go to the file right click and select "new" the file opens just fine. This is all something new in the last 2 days. I tried opening MS office 7 .doc file and they all open just fine. I have followed instruction through a lot of posts on this forum and else where and the problems persists. At this point I am afraid to make more changes as I am thinking I may make things worse. Please help me!
have not downloaded yet.
I want to drop MS office 2007 and install open office and thunderbird
Will I be able to import all of my files, email, and address books?

thanks
danaandcheryl

Re: Problem opening files

Post by danaandcheryl »

"SOLVED" I found the following at a forum for MSWindows. I feel kind of dumb cause I thought this was an OO problem but it was not, it may not have been a windows problem...I think it was a user problem.
here is what: I used to fix this
You need to navigate to the OpenOffice installation folder. Then do the following for both scalc.exe and swriter.exe:
1. Right-click on swriter
2. Select "Properties"
3. Click on "Compatibility" tab
4. Check - "Run this Program as Administrator"
5. Click "Apply"
6. If you have Excel files right-click on scalc and then perform steps 2 thru 5.
Thank you RoryOF your answer was there all a long.
have not downloaded yet.
I want to drop MS office 2007 and install open office and thunderbird
Will I be able to import all of my files, email, and address books?

thanks