Why does OpenOffice crash so often, and can I make it stop?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
fatgreta

Why does OpenOffice crash so often, and can I make it stop?

Post by fatgreta »

I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong, but I very frequently have both calc and writer crash for no reason that is apparent to me. I then have to recover the document I'm working on. Despite having set tools-options-load/save general to 5 minutes, I frequently find that when I recover the document a great deal of information is lost. I don't keep time as I work but it seems frequently to be more than 5 minutes worth of data. I'm up to date on the version, I use Win10 that is up to date. It happens when I have other programs running and when it's the only program running. I'm planning to try to keep track of this in a specific manner so I can know more specifically, but it happens at least 10% of the times that I use one or the other program, and I believe that is a very liberal estimate. It's been a long time since I've used any other office suite on my personal PC, but in all my jobs over the years it's always been Microsoft Office we've used, and I can't recall a single time this ever happened there.

So that's my griping, now the most important question - is there any way I can stop this from happening?

Thanks,

Chris
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Why does Open Office crash so often, and can I make it s

Post by thomasjk »

Try resetting the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Re: Why does Open Office crash so often, and can I make it s

Post by RoryOF »

A Windows 10 update some months ago rendered OpenOffice very unstable. A later Win10 update is reported to have fixed this, so I suggest you verify that Win10 is fully updated: if not, please tell it to update completely, then restart your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS