[Solved] AOO swriter.exe often asks to associate with .rtf

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JDavidJ

[Solved] AOO swriter.exe often asks to associate with .rtf

Post by JDavidJ »

Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 7 SP2, Dell Vostro 131

I installed Open Office this morning to see if I can avoid the Office 365 subscription. I am also running WinPatrol to monitor cheeky programs, and about every 10 minutes I get an alert from WinPatrol that swriter.exe is seeking to have .rtf files associated with it. I refuse permission only to have the popup appear again after 10 minutes or so. As well as searching the forums here I've done a general search on Google but turned up nothing.

Opening Task manager, I can see no instance of swriter.exe running, either under the Applications or the Services tabs.
In the alert pop-up from WinPatrol the path of swriter is given as C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\\swriter - note the extra slash before the file name This is not normal.
Just to temporarily silence the error I renamed the file to become "x swriter.exe" in the folder and rebooted, but the popups keep appearing.
I searched my computer (and external drives) and no other instance of switer.exe showed up.
Fearing Malware I have done a full virus scan which also showed nothing.

I could just click to allow swriter to associate with rtfs, but firstly I don't like to be bullied by software, and secondly because of the oddities I would like to know what is going on.

Can anyone help please?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.6, running on a Dell Vostro, WIn 7 SP2
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice swriter.exe often asks to associate with .rtf

Post by RoryOF »

Have you downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org/download? If not, I suggest you uninstall your exiting OO, reboot, and reinstall wih a download from the above location.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JDavidJ

Post by JDavidJ »

There were a couple of options and i'm not sure which I used. I'll follow your suggestion. Thanks.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That is the official site: it will redirect you to a Sourceforge server. No need (read _DO NOT_) click on any links - your download will start automatically.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JDavidJ

Post by JDavidJ »

That has done the trick Thank you very much.

:bravo: