OpenOffice crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
RusselB

Re: OpenOffice crashing

Post by RusselB »

3 times in 5 minutes is far too fast for you to have tried most of the recommendations, as some of them, for example the restarting in safe mode, requires at least 2 minutes with any of the systems I have access to.
The suggestion of resetting your OpenOffice user profile is another one that takes time, probably at least a minute.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

TradeSafe wrote: I I cant solve this today I will be moving to another program, the situation is beyond tolerance
Your computer, your setup, your choice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lucian.costin

Post by lucian.costin »

RoryOF wrote:
TradeSafe wrote: I I cant solve this today I will be moving to another program, the situation is beyond tolerance
Your computer, your setup, your choice.
Well i had the same feeling after the couple of days of lost work, so then i did move to LibreOffice. Not my best choice, but since that's the attitude around here .. :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Someone threatens to move - it is his choice. What do I care? OpenOffice works correctly for me on all my computers.

I have not time or patience or reason to hold someone's hand through their continuing inexperience/laziness/stupidity.

It is surprising how many people continue to use a computer without knowledge of the need to make regular timed/dated backups, and continue to do so on an unstable system, then blame one component of that system for loss of their unbacked up work.
lucian.costin

Post by lucian.costin »

Dear @RoryOF,
I'm sorry to say but your language is offensive, but uselessly so.
At least from my point of view, I'm running a Win 10 Pro with live updates. 'Unbacked up' work in your dictionary probably means pressing Save every minute, this reminds me exactly of the Windows 95 period.
Out of the repeated messages on this forum, there's obviously an incompatibility of OO with something, some new Windows update, or specific program.
I personally am a programmer so i could say i'm proficient in using the computer, and i wouldn't be surprised to read more such comments here soon.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

lucian.costin wrote:I personally am a programmer so i could say i'm proficient in using the computer, and i wouldn't be surprised to read more such comments here soon.
Then you know about the problems of a 32-bit application for Windows 7, not substantially upgraded since 2011. The successor to OpenOffice is https://libreoffice.org/ From what I can tell, it runs smoothly with Windows 10.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

lucian.costin wrote:I personally am a programmer so i could say i'm proficient in using the computer, and i wouldn't be surprised to read more such comments here soon.
So you will appreciate that, as hundreds of millions of other users don't have the problems you have, the cause must lie on your PC. If you want to debug your problem follow the suggestions. For example, what happened when you test ran in Safe Mode? When you reset the User Profile?

As you are a self professed "expert" I am surprised that you hijacked someone else's thread and did not start you own thread for your unique problem. Don't you realise that your problem is likely to be different to Bruce Biley's problem which was posted over 14 months ago and with a different version of AOO?

Like every other program, neither AOO not LO are perfect. As you should know, it's all about keeping the PC clean and knowing what other programs are potentially causing problems.
Villeroy wrote:Then you know about the problems of a 32-bit application for Windows 7, not substantially upgraded since 2011.
Villeroy

I still run 32-bit Lotus 123 for Windows 95 (I have an Approach database I need) on my 64-bit W10 PC and a 16-bit? PC-DOS application dated 28 April 1991 (in 32-bit? DOSBox) :super: That's 25 years and 29 years and 2 days old respectively. Nine year old AOO is as stable as a rock.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
lucian.costin

Post by lucian.costin »

I have the same OS, same OO version, and most similar symptoms as the topic starter, so it has a good likely-ness to be the same problem.
You have multiple complaints in this thread alone, there are also other mentions dated this year, so neither i'm the 'only' one with similar problems, neither it is a solved problem over these 14 months.
Be it even so, RoryOF's comment is offensive, he calls the posters stupid. We're not stupid here, we came to find a solution and some of us open to participate in finding it.
But this is likely not the place.
I did already move to LibreOffice, thank you!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

lucian.costin wrote: Be it even so, RoryOF's comment is offensive, he calls the posters stupid. We're not stupid here, we came to find a solution and some of us open to participate in finding it.
I leave it to others to decide - a "programmer", "proficient in using the computer" (your words), who has "a couple of days of lost work" because of knowingly using an unstable system (his computer) because of lack of backups. Is that stupid or not?

You post the quoted details to a public forum, and take to yourself the reply directed (by quotation) to another user - stupid or not?

It is, in my opinion, fair comment, although not directed at you, until you took it upon yourself.
lucian.costin

Post by lucian.costin »

Rory, you're disgusting and you're not even reading the posts, it must be that you're drinking too much! :knock:
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

lucian.costin wrote:it must be that you're drinking too much!
And you, don't feed the troll!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

lucian.costin wrote:You have multiple complaints in this thread alone
Who is the you in your comment?

Perhaps you do not appreciate that RoryOF, like other helpers here, are unpaid user volunteers who try to assist other users who have problems with OpenOffice variants. We do not write any code and we don't take complaints. See Survival Guide for the forum

So who is the you?

Nine users in fourteen months reported problems in this thread while 199,999,991 users didn't. That's a success rate of 99.999995% which sounds pretty good to me ...

... and is the reason we, who have assisted thousands of users, are all so sure the problem lies on the user's PC.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.