W10 How to get back the WinShell New function in toto?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
boardbro

W10 How to get back the WinShell New function in toto?

Post by boardbro »

Long ago I could right-click blank space and choose New>>OpenOffice Calc Doc and all the handful of possibilities. Now I am using W10 and not sure that ever was the case here but yes it must have been because I still have New>>OpenOffice Drawing in the shell list - but that's the only one. The rest have been high-jacked by M/S Office, a trial product which I don't want (also works with limited functionality until registered). I want to fully rid Windows Shell of that product's mention at all. Now in previous PCs of mine you could control that feature of OpenOffice by re-running the installer and making an option choice (archaic, probably not here) or by employing TweakUI CPL and specifying your wants, if I recall. But TweakUI won't install right in my W10 and of course why should it, now that W10 has changed everything. So how please? How can I possibly get back the full set of NEW>>OpenOffice Document choices and get rid of M/S office? Many thanks!
AOO 4.1.10 in Windows 10
Oliver12
Banned

Re: W10 How to get back the WinShell New function in toto?

Post by Oliver12 »

boardbro wrote:Long ago I could right-click blank space and choose New>>OpenOffice Calc Doc and all the handful of possibilities. Now I am using W10 and not sure that ever was the case here but yes it must have been because I still have New>>OpenOffice Drawing in the shell list - but that's the only one. The rest have been high-jacked by M/S Office, a trial product which I don't want (also works with limited functionality until registered). I want to fully rid Windows Shell of that product's mention at all. Now in previous PCs of mine you could control that feature of OpenOffice by re-running the installer and making an option choice (archaic, probably not here) or by employing TweakUI CPL and specifying your wants, if I recall. But TweakUI won't install right in my W10 and of course why should it, now that W10 has changed everything. So how please? How can I possibly get back the full set of NEW>>OpenOffice Document choices and get rid of M/S office? Many thanks!
I also need help with getting this back. Help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Oliver
[url=httpsX://gimp.software/][color=#000000]gimp[/color][/url] [url=httpsX://freejobalert.vip/][color=#000000]freejobalert[/color][/url] [url=httpsX://notepad.software/][color=#000000]notepad++[/color][/url]
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: W10 How to get back the WinShell New function in toto?

Post by Villeroy »

Where is the ShellNew folder located in Windows 7? describes where you can find the right template files which are not actually templates since they are copied "as is" from the given location to whatever folder.

You can even sync them with the documents you get from menu:File>New>Text|Spreadsheet|Presentation|Drawing if your system's file system is NTFS and not FAT32.
The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows.

I tested this under Windows 10 with the following command:

Code: Select all

mklink /H  "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice\share\template\shellnew\soffice.odt" %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\user\template\MyDefault.ott
where "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice\share\template\shellnew\soffice.odt" is the location of the ShellNew template, an odt document actually.
And where %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\user\template\MyDefault.ott is a customized default template, a ott file actually. Whenever you change the default template, the ShellNew template will follow.
See [Tutorial] Creating a new default template which tells you how to customize the new documents you get from menu:File>New>... The tutorial applies to the 4 major components Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice