[Solved] Default Program

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
DavidBrighton

[Solved] Default Program

Post by DavidBrighton »

On recommendation, I've just moved to OpenOffice 4.1.6 from Kingsoft WPS. How can I open all my documents and spreadsheets with OpenOffice as the default? When I click on an existing document and right-click to 'Open with', it still shows 'WPS Writer' as a program option but not OpenOffice. Thanks :( Newbie!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged as Solved, floris v, moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Default Program

Post by erbsenzahl »

Hi, for Windows 10 the procedure should be that way:
  • When I click on an existing document and right-click to 'Open with', it still shows 'WPS Writer' as a program option
  • then try option of other app an find OpenOffice or at least the soffice.exe in your programm folder, which is similar to that...
    c:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Set Default Programs or Set File Associations in Settings.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DavidBrighton

Post by DavidBrighton »

Thanks erbsenzahl and John_Ha. I have solved my issue with your help.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows 10