Reset windows 10 HP PC

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Tiletec

Reset windows 10 HP PC

Post by Tiletec »

After factory reset, and file back up, and files restored, I now have all pics, but no original Oo documents,other than PDFs, again, I have everything else but my Oo original Spreadsheet Docs?

Please, tell me what happened, and how to keep that from happening in the future.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Reset windows 10 HP PC

Post by Bill »

How did you back up your files? I just copy my Documents, Music, Pictures, etc folders to an external hard drive.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Most likely your files are intact, only masked.

For most Windows PCs, a factory reset will preinstall MS Office (either full software as a trial version or a "wrapper" to install it by demand). Even when MS Office is not installed, the Microsoft Store may flag the availability and filetype support of that suite.

MS Office supports the default OpenOffice file types, so until you install OpenOffice (or one of its siblings), your OpenOffice files will carry MS Office icons.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is OpenOffice opening when you use the Program Button? If so, does that show your latest documents on /File /Recent documents? What happens if you try a system file search for .ods?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Go Start > Search. Type *.od? iunto the Search box. Press Enter. Click See more results.

You have now found every .odt, .ods, .odp and .odg file on your PC.
Attachments
Search (done in Windows 7)
Search (done in Windows 7)
Clipboard01.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Tiletec

Post by Tiletec »

OK, I appreciate all the suggestions, but I still don't have the most resent ODS. docs I made before the reset, and backup.
I have to say I do have some earlier original docs that were saved to One Drive before it filled up.
Should I delete the MSO and then will they show up?

Thanks
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Only you know how your files were backed up and how they were restored. Twice you've mentioned "reset" before you mentioned "backup". If you did things in that order then there may not be anything to recover.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Check your backup device and ensure the files were actually saved there in the first instance.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers