[Solved] Calc 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Crash to Desktop

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
GooberGrape

[Solved] Calc 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Crash to Desktop

Post by GooberGrape »

I have been using 4.1.5 for a long time. I only use it at tax time and this year I saw many crashes to desktop. I lose work every time it happens. I lose data that has supposedly already been saved long before the crash.

I updated to 4.1.6 and just had the same thing happen after using for less than 10 minutes. I REALLY do not feel like doing the taxes two or three times because this thing is crashing and losing data that should already have been saved. That is the worst of it - the save icon is gray, indicating that the current data should have been saved to disk. And yet, after recovery it is lost. :crazy:

ANY help at all?! Rolling Windows Updates back is not an option.

EDIT: With 4.1.5 it just went through the standard recovery. With 4.1.6 it tried to do that but I got a "Bad Allocation" message box while it was doing that.
Last edited by GooberGrape on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Calc 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Crash to Desktop

Post by robleyd »

If you are certain you have no unsaved changes, cancel the recovery after the crash and just open the document from the File | Open or recent documents list.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
GooberGrape

Post by GooberGrape »

robleyd wrote:If you are certain you have no unsaved changes, cancel the recovery after the crash and just open the document from the File | Open or recent documents list.
I am NOT certain of anything! I am losing data that the program says is already saved. How can I know one way or the other? Each time it is a different set of data lost. Sometimes because I had not saved for a bit, other times because for some reason it lost supposedly already saved data.

I am less concerned with how to manage the recovery than I am about stopping the crashes in the first place.
GooberGrape

Post by GooberGrape »

Crashed again. Lost 30 minutes of work again when I pressed Ctrl-S to save.

Is there ANYTHING that can be done or do I just need to dump the program and get something else?
GooberGrape

Post by GooberGrape »

Never mind. I don't have time to #### around with ##### software, I need to get the taxes done. Uninstalled and moved to a better product.

Edited to remove offensive language. floris v, moderator
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Well, you could've waited for someone to respond to your latest messages, but as you feel that OpenOffice is not the software for you and your giving up after less than an hour after making your initial post, any other advice would be useless.
That said, OpenOffice is a general usage product, not designed for specific tax purposes, though tax information might be able to run through OpenOffice.
There are products designed for tax purposes, and they are also designed to submit to the appropriate government agency tax information in the manner that they want it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
GooberGrape

Post by GooberGrape »

I am not doing actual taxes on it. I am making spreadsheets of numbers and formulas for use with the taxes. It is nothing more than a record of basic income and outgo and summing columns. Literally what a spreadsheet is for. I've lost about 3 hours of work so far from the crashes (including data that was supposedly already written to disk!) so that is why I was impatient.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

As you stated that the OpenOffice software has been uninstalled, any suggestions that might have been made would be useless.
That said, if you want to try to recover your work, try using Recuva, which is an excellent program for recovering data/files that seem to be missing, so long as the sections of the drive where those files were stored hasn't been over-written. Regretfully there's no way of knowing in advance if a file location has been over-written or not, but the sooner you try Recuva the better the chances of data recovery.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There has been a lot of problem with recent Windows updates. As you've used AOO for a long time, you perfectly knows that it used to work well. So something has changed and it is not likely to be AOO.
If you still want to have a try with AOO, check the Windows section of the forum, several topics about the Windows updates.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10