[Solved] Spell check not working

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mwalk

[Solved] Spell check not working

Post by mwalk »

Spell check is not working, seems there is no dictionary - either every word or none is underlined red. Have tried resetting language and downloading a new version of Open Office, but problem persists. Have been using Open Office with no problems for several years. Would be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix - thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: spell check not working

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile. First, shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. That will take you to a folder containing a folder name user. Rename that to user_old . Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the first post in the writer forum for a full explanation.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mwalk

Post by mwalk »

Thanks very much - but there's no 'user' folder in the folder which comes up when I type in the formula you suggested. 'User' does comes up at the end of address of the first folder and I tried to change it to 'user_old' but just got message that username wasn't recognised. Is there any other way of getting to the registration screen?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's there.

Google for how to display hidden files.

Or see the first post in this forum or the Writer forum for a full explanation.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Type the address in the Address Bar of File Explorer. Do not type it in the Search box. This works in every version of Windows.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mwalk

Post by mwalk »

Resolved - thanks very much.
wmvmeyer

Re: [Solved] Spell check not working

Post by wmvmeyer »

The fix for "Spell Check Not Working" by changing "user" folder to "user_old" works like a charm. Thank you. It was driving me crazy.
Open Office 4.1.6 Win 10
trainman2k

Post by trainman2k »

THANK YOU, FJCC!!
I too was becoming quite irritated by this problem and your solution was fast, easy, and flawless.
I am utilizing Open Office 4.1.6 and running it on the MicroSoft Windows 10 platform
Rgraveling78

Post by Rgraveling78 »

I've tried to reload my user_old and it still doesn't work. The best I can tell the default language is set to English (Australia) in the spell checker, I try to edit it but it never saves just stays (Australia), which isn't an option for my language just spell check. I hate this thing how frickin hard it is to just have spell check work seriously.
Ross G
OpenOffice 4.1.7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Reloading user_old will restore the earlier situation. Delete user, or rename it to user_old2, then restart OpenOffice. It will make a new user and spellcheck should work correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rgraveling78

Post by Rgraveling78 »

I've tried and fixed some of the open office applications. So I got it to work properly in OO Writer but still can't figure out how to get it to work in OO Impress. Any ideas for that? I'm using windows 10 Pro.
Ross G
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Rgraveling78 wrote:The best I can tell the default language is set to English (Australia) in the spell checker, I try to edit it but it never saves just stays (Australia), which isn't an option for my language just spell check.
What is the language setting for Writer documents where SpellCheck does work? What is the language setting for the Impress documents where SpellCheck does not work? I suspect they are not the same. If they are the same, then SpellCheck should work in both.

The default language setting is a language attribute setting for the text of new documents. If you want to change the setting for an existing document, you have to check the "For the current document only" option when changing the default language.
gekaap

Post by gekaap »

RoryOF wrote:Reloading user_old will restore the earlier situation. Delete user, or rename it to user_old2, then restart OpenOffice. It will make a new user and spellcheck should work correctly.
This is not a solution. It's the equivalent of doing a factory reset because your computer is behaving oddly, or buying a new car because your current car won't start.
OpenOffice 4.1.6, assorted systems.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But if you keep a copy of your former profile, you're able to retrieve your customization.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

wmvmeyer wrote:The fix for "Spell Check Not Working" by changing "user" folder to "user_old" works like a charm. Thank you. It was driving me crazy.
trainman2k wrote:THANK YOU, FJCC!!
I too was becoming quite irritated by this problem and your solution was fast, easy, and flawless.
While FJCC's and RoryoF's renaming of user to user_OLD is quick and works it loses all your customisation, all your added words to your dictionaries, any macros you have written, your autocorrects and autotexts, your backup files, extensions, gallery files, templates etc. As Hagar says, you need to copy them back if you need them.

The best way to fix spellcheck faults it is to follow Hagar's detailed instructions at [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined). It explains how to get your customisation back and points to an alternative method Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix for AOO which fixes spellcheck without losing anything.

Bob Elliott

Post by Bob Elliott »

I read in the Survival guide that this is not a customer service but I am completely frustrated trying to use the Haga Digest for "Resetig the user profile".
Perhaps I am not technical enough to understand or find all the different terms described under "open your file browser" for the "windows" bullet.
HELP!
And thanks. :(
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bob Elliott

Post by Bob Elliott »

Thanks very much David ... the pictures did the trick.
Bob
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
chetnich

Post by chetnich »

I have no spell checker. I have carefully tried all the solutions here but still no spell checker. The language options are ticked, the language installed. The user file was renamed user_old an a reset changed nothing. Is there any other way of enabling spell checker . I had access to spellchecker in the past but no more.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@chetnich: Resetting the user profile enables SpellChecking in the default language for the AOO version installed on your computer. The only other possibilities are that you have the language set to "None" in the document (that turns off Spell Checking in that document), or you have the language set to some other non-default language in the document and haven't installed the dictionary for the non-default language.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

This problem has been multi posted - further discussion can be found in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102260
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
rodcotton

Post by rodcotton »

this works thanks
open office 4.18
tallen

Post by tallen »

I have verified this as well. Thanks for the help.
I had this problem for the longest time, but didn't have time to fix.
This method of renaming the user settings, aka resetting, is the easiest method for those who don't have any customisation settings created, and simply want to 'get it to work'.
OpenOffice 4.1 - Windows 10 Pro