[Solved] Installation package could not opened

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
gucchlu

[Solved] Installation package could not opened

Post by gucchlu »

Hello ,
i had my crashed PC under guarantee reinstalled with Windows 10 by ACER support.Brought home,tried to installation AOO 4.1.6 and a early version of 3.3.2 ( backed up package been working in old PC before) but keep falling with : "installation package could not be opened or invalid windows installation package".

i looked up a known query on 4.1.5 with similar description and followed all the hints but still can not resolve it such as : make sure i have administrator authority, make sure the source download is true (i used the older version i installed and worked before) , i installed the java ( it was not there when PC returned to me), windows installers service been checked with V 5.0.17134 , except the startup type did not give me an option to choose to : automatic ,it only was : manual ( no option ) . one suggestion was to change it to automatic.
now i ran out of idea what to do next .

The previous wrote below statement but it can not help me much since there is no instruction to do :
"Problem was finally solved (after elaborate efforts with the admin power shell) by moving downloaded files to the root."

Please assist .
Thank you very much
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: installation package could not opened

Post by RoryOF »

I have a vague memory of some change to the Windows installer causing some such problem with an earlier version of OpenOffice; the version of Win 10 used by Acer may need to be updated. Perhaps the cure might be to allow Windows 10 update completely, then retry the installation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gucchlu

Post by gucchlu »

Thank for quick reply sir , there is update available when i checked , try it now ,will let you know after.
gucchlu

Post by gucchlu »

Dear RoryOF,
windows 10 updates finished for this ACER ,just a few , installed and retry again ..still identical result .
on the setup file ,for the latest package ,i saw the publisher name is unknown , but for my old downloaded package ,version 3.3.2,which was working on different PC ( Gigabytes ) ,the publisher name was :Oracle ..any way i tried both on the setup file with right click to run as administrator .. it gave same result ..
so i wonder if the culprit still in the windows installer which the ACER support put in this repaired PC after hard dish crashed ?!
when i looked at the msi service property ,under the "startup type" ,according to one other thrreat for other software installation ,it suggested to change the property to : automatic in pulled down option ... but this one does only have one : "manual" setting ..any comment on this ?

Thu 17/01/2019

I took PC back to Acer support , it was found that during re installation of windows 10 ,the is no user name defined in the profile ,that was why it did not allow the installation of AOO .. this issue is resolved .
Thank you for your care .
Best regards/ Chris
Cynthia-June

Re: [Solved] Installation package could not opened

Post by Cynthia-June »

"I took PC back to Acer support, it was found that during reinstallation of Windows 10, the is no user name defined in the profile, that was why it did not allow the installation of AOO .. this issue is resolved ."

Update:
WELL, this is weird, but after I posted this I thought "what the heck" and tried installing OO one more time and guess what. It worked.
Now my question is, Did this happen because of Acer or Windows 10 Home? Just curious. An answer isn't really necessary but I get very curious about this sort of thing and have a weird need to know the whys and hows of just about everything.

Chris: interesting, because I too have an Acer that won't allow me to install Open Office since Windows 10 Home updated itself. Very frustrating. I am not nearly as computer savvy as you are and I don't really understand what exactly you did to get your Acer to allow the installation of OO. There is no user name in what profile? Are you referring to the profile on my Windows? or OO? thank you ahead of time.
Open Office 4. something
Windows 10 Home
"Don't ask me to keep a secret. If you can't keep it to yourself, how do you expect me to?"
Allferon

Re: [Solved] Installation package could not opened

Post by Allferon »

I also had problems with the installer package. I am running an ASUS though and not an ACER. After reading previous posts here about no user name in the user profile I checked mine. Just for everyones info I was installing open office literally after a fresh reinstall of Win10 . I noticed that there was only one profile and it was an admin account with no name. I created another admin user account with my own name then logged out and signed back in with my new account. Installing with run as administrator after right clicking on the downloaded install package everything worked as intended. So maybe it is just that you must have a name in your profile.
open office 4.1.8 running on windows 10 home version 20H2