Glitch installing OpenOffice 4.1.4 in Win 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jelad

Glitch installing OpenOffice 4.1.4 in Win 10

Post by jelad »

I tried installing this version in win 10 after d/loading it and it keeps telling me there is an invalid character. Then it wont let me go any further and kicks me off. I then tried to uninstall it and it wont let me do that..tells me that someone is using OO....not possible.Tried restarting computer..still no go.. have spent hours doing this.... I knew something would happen as soon as I saw the word free.
open office 4.1.4
RoryOF

Re: glitch installing Open Office 4.1.4 in win 10

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's tabs (note the initial "s" in soffice). That should fix the "OO already in use" message

In the location to which you install it is there a non ASCII 96 character in the path - perhaps in your Windows User name?

Well over 200 million people have downloaded OO and use it daily without problems, but if you don't want to use it or can't install it, that is your decision.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The official version is currently Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6, not "open office 4.1.4". Did you download it from someone's ad site instead of the official site?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jelad

Post by jelad »

RoryOF wrote:Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's tabs (note the initial "s" in soffice). That should fix the "OO already in use" message

In the location to which you install it is there a non ASCII 96 character in the path - perhaps in your Windows User name?

Well over 200 million people have downloaded OO and use it daily without problems, but if you don't want to use it or can't install it, that is your decision.

I tried that.. no mention of Soffice in task manager anywhere and it seems the version I am trying to get rid of is 4.1.1.. do you think it would help if I try a different version? thanx for your help
open office 4.1.4
jelad

Post by jelad »

Bill wrote:The official version is currently Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6, not "open office 4.1.4". Did you download it from someone's ad site instead of the official site?
not sure now...thanks
open office 4.1.4