[Solved] Version 4.1.6 crashing, freezing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Wlaird

[Solved] Version 4.1.6 crashing, freezing

Post by Wlaird »

I just got the newest version. Has all kinds of bugs. I use this for scheduling for my business calc. Since 2012. It's crashing, when I go to updates, or hit, zoom. The auto save not working, and now it froze. Recovery isn't helping because it's not saving correctly, so I have to reassemble things I already put in place. I depend on this information to run my business, and it's hurting me.
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
open office 4.1.6 on windows 10
FJCC

Re: Version 4.1.6 crashing, freezing

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile. First shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and type
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. The will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Rename that to user_old. Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Is it stable now?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You do need to do a little maths. AOO has been downloaded by some 200,000,000 people. You say it does not work for you.

Do you think the problem lies with the AOO software the other 199,999,999 people find is OK?

Or do you think that, just possibly, the problem might lie with your understanding (or lack of understanding), your installation, your unique PC configuration, your way of working and/or your file(s)?

See Resetting the user profile for instructions to recover your customisation after resetting your profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

I am also having this problem with Writer.

I have used it for many many years, but the new 4.1.6 verion freezes Writer randomly in a 5 - 20 minute window. It does not evder un-freeze, but crashes out. So far, it has only once failed to auto restore the files concerned, but it is a complete pain all the same...
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Win10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

@flashingcursor - have you tried resetting your user profile?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also: be aware that a recent Windows 10 update caused crashes in OpenOffice. It is said that this update was replaced by a later one, which did not cause the crashes, so I suggest telling Win10 to update completely.

Note that I am not a Windows user; this advice is based on information gleaned from Forum postings.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

I have tried the profile re-set, and as of writing it seems to be working. Was giving it time before posting solved.

Maybe there was some little legacy thing in the old profile left over from way back that causes the problem. There can't be that many users left over from before 2011 (which is the date on my registration email for this forum!), so that might explain the relatively few people that have had this issue.

Thanks for the prompt reply to the original question, by the way.
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

YIKES! It just happened again, despite the new user profile.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the full Win 10 update; alternately, start Windows in Safe Mode and run OO while Windows is in that mode. If OO runs stable in Windows Safe Mode, then the culprit is some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode: you have to track this down and adjust it or delete it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

What is the "full win10 update"? My previous version of OO wolud not update from the update prompt (which pops up top right in Writer), and so i had to do it from the website anyway. Is there some way i can do a clean install instead of an update?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

AOO doesn't do 'updates', they are in fact complete installs. However, RoryOF is actually referring to updates of the operating system, Windows 10, via Windows Update. Nothing to do with OpenOffice update.

Also, try the suggestion of running Windows in Safe Mode.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

Win 10 is up to date (though i often find that the updates cause more problems than they solve... until they rush out another one to fix the problems caused by the last one).

Everything was fine until the last (4.1.6) OO update. And the only new software/drivers that have been knowingly installed by me was a Wacom tablet back in October... which as i say was working fine. I will try the safe mode idea when i have time... which is hardly ever. It is not what I want to be using the computer for..
flashingcursor

Post by flashingcursor »

A possible cause:

I was having the problem again this afternoon, to the point that i couldn't even save the restored (partially scrambled) version as i unscrambled it piece>save>by piece>save before it crashed out again before i could get to the end. I did some more digging on the internet and discovered the following:

It seems that there are differences between MS and OO in terms of anchoring objects in text documents (beware transferring between .odt and .doc file types), and OO seems to quite easily get its knickers in a twist about anchoring.

In my case this afternoon, I created a new document and copied across all the elements... apart from the last "anchored to page" frame, which had somehow embedded itself into a table rather than being actually anchored to the page as it claimed. I then recreated this element from new, and everything seems to be working fine.

I can't remember what was in the files that were causing the problem before, but since i often incorporate frames and tables into text documents, i would not be surprised if i was having an anchoring conflict/screw up then too...
YODA

Post by YODA »

Try making the documents you use in .odt does it crash?
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Check Windows 10 is fully up to date. This is very important as a W10 update might be stuck. You may need to repair W10 update.

2. Power OFF and start the PC in SAFE MODE. Is AOO now OK?

3. A file which was open when your PC crashed may be corrupted. File > New > Text document. Now go Insert > File ..., and pull in the old file. Save with a new name. Does AOO crash with the the new?

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
corapeake

Post by corapeake »

OpenOffice 4.1.6 Calc has been crashing regularly on my new laptop on Win 10 (yes, latest updates installed). I have a particular spreadsheet with 7 columns and 7550 rows that I have referred to and added to weekly for about 8 years. I have no problems doing whatever I want with this file on my win 7 machine, but the new win 10 chokes with a simple "find". It's obvious with all the win10 complaints that OpenOffice has issues with Win 10.

PS: I just downloaded/installed LibreOffice and opened the same file mentioned above and the find function worked flawlessly, then I tried it again with OpenOffice and it failed again.
LACAIT

Post by LACAIT »

FJCC wrote:Try resetting your user profile. First shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and type
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. The will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Rename that to user_old. Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Is it stable now?

FOLLOWING THESE ISTRUCTIONS THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED.
THANKS A LOT.
Georges LAMBION
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.6 WINDOW 10