Constant Issues with Windows Security Update

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Arty23

Constant Issues with Windows Security Update

Post by Arty23 »

I prefer using Open Office, but I'm at my wits end with this issue and about to just switch to Microsoft Office. I'm running OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10. Starting four months ago, OpenOffice is incompatible with Windows Security Update KB434390 and each subsequent security update. Open Office won't open large files and crashes if I try to save a file that is large. As an attorney who uses OO to work on documents, this issue is reaching critical mass. I go in an uninstall the latest security update every couple days and restart my laptop and then Open Office works until Windows reinstalls the update. I was fine using this as a stopgap method until OpenOffice figured out a solution, but it's going on four months now. I know some other threads have dealt with this issue, but the "solution" has always been to uninstall the security update and wait for Open Office to figure it out. Is there any end in sight to this issue?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Constant Issues with Windows Security Update

Post by Villeroy »

This is NOT the fault of OpenOffice. It is Microsoft which effectively kicks out third party software by means of faulty updates. Switching to Microsoft Office would be a reward for bad software.
Try https://libreoffice.org/download/. It is a more "modern" variant of OpenOffice. It is not affected by this particular problem.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You do need to do a little maths. AOO has been downloaded by some 200,000,000 people. You say it does not work for you.

Do you think the problem lies with the AOO software the other 199,999,999 people find is OK?

Or do you think that, just possibly, the problem might lie with your understanding (or lack of understanding), your installation, your unique PC configuration, your way of working and/or your file(s)?

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
OpenOffice is incompatible with Windows Security Update KB434390
That is not true. As you can see AOO works with KB4343900 (I think you dropped off the final " 0 ") on my PC. My test large file is Vanity Fair - it has 360,000 words in 1055 pages.
Clipboard02.gif
Make sure that no updates are "half installed" - do a power OFF / ON reboot to be certain and check the status of installed updates.

Make certain that Windows Defender is allowing AOO to write to your disk - Google for instructions.
Open Office won't open large files
Won't open them? Or is slow opening them? Start AOO. File > Open. Navigate to a large file and open it. Describe what now happens. What happens if you leave it for, say, 30 minutes?

Your files probably have lots of references, footnotes and/or endnotes. See [Solved] AOO stops responding when opening this one document. Does the page count vary ina large file?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

OpenOffice is incompatible with Windows Security Update KB434390 (Should that be KB4343909?)
See Re: OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update which describes a faulty W10 update KB4343909 which was replaced by a new version.

Uninstall it and check for new updates.

Search the forum or the web with KB4343909 to find posts like KB4343897 & KB4343909 issues.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.