[Solved] Issues Installing OO 4.1.6 / English (GB) & German

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
hotelechomike

[Solved] Issues Installing OO 4.1.6 / English (GB) & German

Post by hotelechomike »

I have a WIN10 laptop which was running OpenOffice 4.1.4 - the user interface (eg menus) was English; the language of documents etc could be set either to English (GB) or German.

I downloaded the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 Win_X86 install_en-GB.exe & the langpack_de.exe
I ran first the install_en-GB.exe & then the langpack_de.exe.
The installation ran OK & 4.1.6 had replaced 4.1.4

However, when I started either Impress or Writer the user interface was in German
and (at least in Writer) the languages could be set to Deutsch or English (USA) not GB!

I would have expected the user interface to be English & the dictionaries Deutsch or English (GB).

I subsequently downloaded the langpack_en-GB.exe & ran that - no errors but it seemed to have no effect!
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows7 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Issues Installing OO 4.1.6 / English (GB) & German

Post by Bill »

Language pack contain files for changing the GUI language. They don't include dictionaries for SpellCheck. You need to download a German language dictionary extension and install it. A Google search should help you find an extension.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
hotelechomike

Solved: Issues Installing OO 4.1.6 / English (GB) & German

Post by hotelechomike »

Many thanks for the tip :D

I went back to my laptop, removed the OpenOffice installation and started again:
1) Installed ...install_en-GB.exe
2) Installed German (de-DE frami) dictionary version 2017.01.12

Looked good. Thus I then decided to update my Desktop PC (WIN7) which had O 4.1.1 installed.

1) Installed ...install_en-GB.exe
I then started OO Writer & found that under Tools / Language / For all Text that it
offered Danish (!), English (UK) and German (Germany).

2) I then rebooted the system & found that it offered English (UK), English (USA) and German (Germany).

3) I then installed German (de-DE frami) dictionary version 2017.01.12 (it said it would replace an earlier 2013(?) version)
On starting OO Writer it offered English (UK) and German (Germany).

So I am where I intended to be :D
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows7 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10