[Solved] Cannot save text file

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Qballgreg

[Solved] Cannot save text file

Post by Qballgreg »

Version 4.1.6. When a text document attempt to ‘save as’ is executed, the program just grinds away and nothing happens....then I must shut down program and reload, then same thing occurs.....also,happened with 4.1.3
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Cannot save text file

Post by RoryOF »

Check that Windows Defender has been told to allow OpenOffice save files in the target directory (or anywhere?)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Qballgreg

Post by Qballgreg »

Where would OpenOffice appear in Windows Defender?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There are a couple of links in this post that may be helpful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Qballgreg

Post by Qballgreg »

Perhaps my problem is being misunderstood...upon completing a document (everything is fine), as I hit the ‘save as’ button, the window pops up for selecting a location, but everything starts grinding away at that point. The little circular symbol going around signifying that the computer is executing something....continues apparently searching to end its cycle, but never does...so I cannot get to the point of selection a file location. I have checked to confirm that the correct file extension is set, instead of a .doc.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Give AOO permission to write to disk in Windows Defender. Google it if you don't know how.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Qballgreg

Post by Qballgreg »

Thanks so much for your input...I changed permissions as instructed to ‘everyone’, yet it does not change my problem. It seems as if it cannot find the location of the files or the path, or whatever. The ‘Quick Access’ file listing appears on the left side, while the main body says ‘working on it’...when I click on a file to the left, it then goes into a never ending busy like it can not locate what I have selected....I then need to close the program and start over to get it to stop looking....any additional advice would be helpful....
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Try changing this setting - Tools | Options | OpenOffice and under Open/Save dialogue boxes change the setting for Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Qballgreg

Post by Qballgreg »

Thanks so much...I changed the ‘save as’ to the OpenOffice xml document and everything seems fine. It wasn’t exactly as you had requested, so I don’t know if I went astray somewhere, but the change is working....so a BIG THANK YOU!