AOO 4.1.5 shuts down unexpectedly

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
MalaFiumanka

AOO 4.1.5 shuts down unexpectedly

Post by MalaFiumanka »

I've been using O.O. for about 20 years. Never had any problems with the programs running except lately. I have version 4.1.5 and it keeps shutting down leading to me having to rewrite the data in. Tonight it's not such a huge problem, it's just a waste of half an hour of time. But not when I created spreadsheet for my work inventory and lost thousands of parts that included part and serial numbers.

I'm really fed up with it. Anyone knows the solution, short of switching to google sheets? Oh and is there auto save feature I could turn on as I keep forgetting to save it after.every.single input.

Thanks

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator].
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: AOO 4.1.5 shuts down unexpectedly

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Open Office does have an Auto-Save feature.
You can access it by going to Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General
There are two options which you can use: Always create backup copy and Save Auto-Recovery information.
The first will create a copy of a file that you open, so that you have an unedited version of that file. The back-up is over-written the next time you open the file.
The Auto Recovery is a timed event. You'll have to play with the timing to get it optimized for you, but comes set at 15 minutes. When the Auto-Recovery information is being written, there is little to no access to the open spreadsheet. The larger/more complex the spreadsheet the longer it takes to save the auto-recovery information.

Since this problem seems to have started recently, I'd like to suggest that you reset your OpenOffice user profile, as described [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Probably due to the recent Win 10 update that caused the problem; let Win 10 update fully - a later update is said to have fixed the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
don03109

Post by don03109 »

I was having this problem. Just installed the latest update, KBB4100347, and it seems to have solved it. Now I feel safe to update to the latest version of Open Office.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
MS Windows 10