Font size

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
paganfyre

Font size

Post by paganfyre »

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can give me an easy answer to a problem. I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.6. and windows 10. Problem is that something has happened with my font sizing. It was working fine then all of a sudden the font size of 12 turned into a size 6 or 7. It's hardly readable. So I unloaded Open Office and got a new one thinking that would fix the problem. It didn't. Actually my whole Open Office isn't the same as it was 2 weeks ago. Even the tool bars are messed up and I don't know how to fix them, the icon to set any print appears to be stuck on left and I have to manually keep pressing justified. I thought downloading a new one would fix that but it didn't, same as last. What do I do??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Open office version 4.1.3
operating system is HP
RoryOF

Re: font size

Post by RoryOF »

Try /View /Zoom and set to 100%. If that changes to make things more readable, then fine tune it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
paganfyre

Post by paganfyre »

Thanks Rory I'll give that a try and see if that fixes it. But what about the toolbar??
operating system is HP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The toolbar can be adjusted (within limits) by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : View, scaling factor there is usually 100%, but you can adjust this to 130%; you can also select icon size on that window to be either "small" or "large".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did you by any chance change to a new, higher resolution, monitor?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font displayed in the document's Font selection box is the font the document is calling for at the cursor position.

This may not be the font being used to display or print the document because, if you do not have the font being called for installed on your PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute an alternative, available font without telling you. This will almost certainly cause different line spills and page spills.

The Testfonts add-on is invaluable to check which fonts are being called for in a document, and which are missing and have therefore been substituted. Note that some fonts do not have a font file for, say, Italic; and in that case, when Italic is called for, Windows itself applies a slant to the font to simulate Italic.

You can check which font is being used to display text by highlighting the text and Format > Character > Font ...

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
paganfyre

Post by paganfyre »

Thank you so much for all your help Rory. I did manage to change the font size where it seems to be consistent for times new roman. The other fonts appear to be ok. Yes I am going to bookmark what you have selected because I need quite a bit of help with Open Office all of a sudden. Thank you again.
operating system is HP
paganfyre

Post by paganfyre »

Thank you for your reply John - your information is very valuable to me at this time. Thanks again.
operating system is HP
YODA

Post by YODA »

I downloaded TESTFONTS using Chrome as my browser just now and got the message "this file can harm your computer do you want to keep or discard?" the Sourceforge file name is testfontsjb.oxt. I just thought Rory should know
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have testfonts running on my computers. I think the message you are getting is from a paranoid browser or operating system.
YODA

Re: Font size

Post by YODA »

Could be Chrome is version 70
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)