4.1.6 download warning

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jmk

4.1.6 download warning

Post by jmk »

Just downloaded update 4.1.6, Win 10. At end of download, ribbon opened with message saying that "4.1.6 is not typically downloaded and can harm your computer". Please comment.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
FJCC

Re: 4.1.6 download warning

Post by FJCC »

If you downloaded from www.openoffice.org, then the warning is somebody's (Microsoft's ?) excessive caution or scaremongering.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.6 for Windows US and got no warning message.
Installation went through with a single problem, being that the uninstaller had trouble removing the start up icon from my desktop for the previous installation.
The error number was 1910 and, while I don't remember the exact wording, read something like Error: Installer can not remove OpenOffice 4.1.4 icon from desktop. Please ensure the icon is there and that the system has access to it.
A single button marked OK was the only option available, and as soon as I clicked the OK button, the icon was removed from my desktop. IMO, a small problem and one that, as far as I can tell, resolved itself.

I also have to wonder what they are using as a basis for that message. This release was just made available today (ie: within 24 hours of this post), so, of course, it might not have a lot of downloads yet... these things take time.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A quick web search of the error message turned up a few cases where IE9 was producing the message for diverse downloads.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I haven't downloaded AOO recently on Windows, but I seem to recall that this message would appear just after any new release of AOO and that the message would stop appearing a few days later.

Similar messages can also be produced by Google Chrome and Firefox. Chrome shows the warning for any program file.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is not unusual for such messages to be produced after a new version of OO is released; invariably they are "false positives" for files downloaded from the correct download site http://www.openoffice.org/download/ (as automatically redirected). When the anti-virus application companies update their definition files and these are updated on the local computer, these messages go away.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS