Open Office 4.1.5 restarts from zero after blue screen

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pictish9

Open Office 4.1.5 restarts from zero after blue screen

Post by pictish9 »

Hi all,
Anybody got this problem? I am on Windows 10. If W10 crashes with a blue screen, open office reloads from zero asking me to register my name again and I have to reset all my preferences for not autocompleting, not spell check, not replacing words, punctuation etc. Since Windows 10 crashes fairly often this is geting a bit tiresome. Anybody know if I can stop this?
cheers,
Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10 64
RoryOF

Re: Open Office 4.1.5 restarts from zero after blue screen

Post by RoryOF »

This may be due to the faulty Windows 10 update.

A quick workaround may be to copy your OO user profile, and after a crash, copy it back over the corrupted profile. You will lose any Recent |Documents links to files you have edited since making the copy.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

For more information on the profile RoryOF refers to, see [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You might also consider replacing Windows 10 with another operating system, especially if, as you say, it's crashing often.
The blue screen, was, and I believe still is, also referred to as BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and it is a precursor to your system dying.
If you don't feel that you are competent to diagnose your system, I'd suggest getting it into a computer shop for a preventative maintenance diagnostic.
I've seen prices for this type of work run from $20 - $200, but your local shop should be wiling and able to give you a price for the diagnostic in advance.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
pictish9

Post by pictish9 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try copying the user profile back as suggested after the next crash. I'm also working on trying to sort things from that side - Microsoft suggests a faulty driver may be causing the rather frequent Windows 10 bluescreen crashes.
cheers,
pictish9
Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10 64