Installation of latest version FAILED

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
beiland

Installation of latest version FAILED

Post by beiland »

I've been using Open Office 3.3 (I think it was) for a long time. It was suggested that I use 'calc' in the newest version 4.1?
So I tried to download it tonight, and that seemed successful. Then when i went to install it it stopped and said I should close out of Open Office. To my knowledge I had NOTHING open there. So I decided to uninstall the old version from my computer. That seems like it was successful. So now I have no Open Office on my computer, BUT I can't install the new version???

As I look thru this forum it seems there are a LOT of PROBLEMS with this new version? I'm an older (75) guy who is only moderately computer literate. Please help, Brian
Open Office 3.1
Windows XP, 3
RusselB

Re: Installation of latest version FAILED

Post by RusselB »

The latest version of OpenOffice is 4.1.5.
Usually the reason for that message is that there is an OpenOffice file resident in memory.
The easiest way is to open the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl, Shift and Esc buttons simultaneously. While this may seem difficult, you can press and hold the Ctrl and Shift keys, so that when you press the Esc key the system sees all three keys being pressed simultaneously.
With the Task Manager open, look through the list for any processes (you may have to change to the Processes tab) that starts with soffice (note the s at the beginning), highlight them one at a time, and use the End Task button for each one.
You may get more than one ending when you do the End Process for one. If you do, don't worry.
Once all of those processes have ended, try the installation again.... it should work.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.