Trying to save a very long document often results in crash

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Arilando

Trying to save a very long document often results in crash

Post by Arilando »

I have a document that's 49 pages long and about 90k characters. When trying to save this document after making a change to it, open office often will not respond and then crash. This is very annoying. I should say that this document contains a mix of standard english letters and symbols and chinese characters, i don't know whether or not this is impacting my problem. Is there a solution to this? This is on windows 7 professional.

EDIT: This seem to also happen with smaller documents now.
Last edited by Arilando on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Trying to save a very long document often results in cra

Post by RoryOF »

I can save documents of 1000-2000 pages (and more) [1million to 2 million characters] with no problems. Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As your Forum .sig says you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Trying to save a very long document often results in cra

Post by John_Ha »

1. Does the document have footnotes or endnotes?

2. Does AOO crash - ie disappear completely? Or does AOO hang and stop responding?

3. If AOO hangs, what happens if you wait until it runs again?

4. Create a new document by File > New > Text document. Insert > From file ..., and pull in your document. Save it. Does it now crash? If it is OK, it suggests it is the document(s) you are editing which is/are causing the problem.

5. Reset the profile - see Resetting the user profile

See [Solved] AOO stops responding when opening this one document

Upload the file (eg .odt) showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.