SpreadSheet Takes Forever to Open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
blu99

SpreadSheet Takes Forever to Open

Post by blu99 »

I've been using the program for several years and lately it can take up to 5 minutes to open up a saved Spreadsheet. I only have about 200 lines with 6 columns. Nothing fancy and opened up quick all these times and then suddenly slow as can be! I'm using 4.1.5 and even went back to an older version but it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!
RoryOF

Re: SpreadSheet Takes Forever to Open

Post by RoryOF »

Check /Edit /Links to see if there are internet links you don't know about.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A bad Windows 10 update was reported to cause problems like this.

Upload the file for it to analysed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
blu99

Post by blu99 »

How do I upload the file John?

Am waiting for it to open now to check the LINKS
Windows 10..........OpenOffice 4.1.5
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max) or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
blu99

Post by blu99 »

John,

I don't want to upload the file because it's a spreadsheet with my sales on a certain website, costs, fees, etc.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it taking forever to open up.
Windows 10..........OpenOffice 4.1.5
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The link How to upload a file jkrideau provided above also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every alphabetic character to an " x " with

Edit > Find and Replace
Tick Regular expressions (under More ...)
Find box [:alpha:]
Replace box x
click Replace all

Now type random values in the cells if you are paranoid about security ...

karlespy

Post by karlespy »

This may or may not help but when I ran into this problem I found that for some reason my spreadsheet data/formulas had extended to a maximum row in the millions. I discovered this by pressing Cntrl-End and found myself at a location far beyond any actual data I had entered. Note: I had formulas that were invisible unless certain evaluation criteria were met so there was not a visual cue to the fact that these formulas had somehow been extended far beyond the originally set limits.

So... try pressing Ctrl-End and see when you end up. If it takes you to a location off the charts of what you expect then look for the offending rows/columns and do a bulk delete of the offending data/formulas... and be prepared to wait a while while the deletion takes place and completes. In my case, these were spreadsheets originally created in Excel then loaded into either OpenOffice or Libre Office and then saved as ods files. The load times for the original Excel formatted files remained fine, but the ods file loads extended up to 5 minutes for very small spreadsheets, albeit with multiple graphs which I had wrongly assumed to somehow be the culprit.

Hope this helps someone
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10