Can't open rtf file with OpenOffice Witer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
LostForever

Can't open rtf file with OpenOffice Witer

Post by LostForever »

I'm trying to open a rtf file from a website. If I click on "Open with", I get a list of choices:
Microsoft Word (I DON'T HAVE WORD. I use Apache OpenOffice.)
OpenOffice Calc (same as Microsoft Excel)
Internet Explorer
Imaging Devices Control Panel
Office XML Handler
Notepad
NoteTab Light
Windows Media Player
Windows Wordpad Application

I don't know why or how OpenOffice Calc made the list but I want OpenOffice Writer. How do add Writer to the list?

Any solutions?
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Can't open rtf file with OpenOffice Witer

Post by Bill »

What does "from a website" mean? Did you download the RTF file to your computer?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Try opening the file with a text editor (Is Notepad a Windows editor?) and see what the file looks like.

Also, try to open the file from within Writer.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
LostForever

Post by LostForever »

Bill wrote:What does "from a website" mean? Did you download the RTF file to your computer?
It's a website that has some stories that you have complete permission to download. Most are texts but some are rtf.

If you right click or left click, it will open a window that asks "What should Firefox do with this file?"
The 2 choices are "Open with" or "Save file".

If you chose "Save file" and go to "Downloads" and try to open the file, it will only open in "Office Word". I don't have "Office Word". I use "OpenOffice Writer" so I can't open it in that program.

I can open it in OpenOffice Calc but it changes the format so much it's nearly unreadable.

The list is in a previous post in this thread.

Did this answer you question?
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Set your file associations such that Writer is the default program for opening RTF files.

Here is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Start AOO
2. File > Open ... Navigate to fred.rtf. Select it. It will open.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LostForever

Post by LostForever »

Bill wrote:What does "from a website" mean? Did you download the RTF file to your computer?
It's a website that has some stories that you have complete permission to download. Most are texts but some are rtf.

If you right click or left click, it will open a window that asks "What should Firefox do with this file?"
The 2 choices are "Open with" or "Save file".

If you chose "Save file" and go to "Downloads" and try to open the file, it will only open in "Office Word". I don't have "Office Word". I use "OpenOffice Writer" but I can't open it in that.

If I click "Open with", I get a list of choices:
Microsoft Word (I DON'T HAVE WORD. I use Apache OpenOffice.)
OpenOffice Calc (same as Microsoft Excel)
Internet Explorer
Imaging Devices Control Panel
Office XML Handler
Notepad
NoteTab Light
Windows Media Player
Windows Wordpad Application

When I use Notepad or Notetab Light to open the file, I comes out one line is just right and the next line looks like this "at8\qj\li5\fi235\ri5\sb0\sa0\sl-230\slmult0 \f9\fs20{\b0\i0\cf1\charscalex100\expndtw1\f9\cchs0\lang1033\fs" Needless to say, it's unreadable. The others try to use Microsoft Word.

I really need to add OpenOffice Writer to the list but I don't know how.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If you chose "Save file" and go to "Downloads" and try to open the file, it will only open in "Office Word". I don't have "Office Word". I use "OpenOffice Writer" but I can't open it in that.
Yes, you must download the file first, and then you need launch the OpenOffice Writer, and use the "File - Open" function of the Writer. Browse the file (you must know where you has downloaded it to) and open it.

Otherwise you must assign the .rtf filename extension to the OpenOffice instead of the (non existing) MS Word. Then you will able open the RTF files by a double click on the file name / file icon.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
LostForever

Post by LostForever »

robleyd wrote:Set your file associations such that Writer is the default program for opening RTF files.

Here is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10.
Thanks for the link. There must have been about 40 different apps to choose from. The problem? WRITER WASN'T ON THE LIST! How can OpenOffice Calc be listed and not Writer? That's crazy.

I appreciate your help.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
LostForever

Post by LostForever »

jrkrideau wrote:Try opening the file with a text editor (Is Notepad a Windows editor?) and see what the file looks like.

They come out unreadable. When I use Notepad or Notetab Light to open the file, I comes out one line is just right and the next line looks like this "at8\qj\li5\fi235\ri5\sb0\sa0\sl-230\slmult0 \f9\fs20{\b0\i0\cf1\charscalex100\expndtw1\f9\cchs0\lang1033\fs"

Also, try to open the file from within Writer.
Even though I can open Writer and type on it and save it, it's like I don't even have it on my computer when it comes to opening the rtf files. It's not listed anywhere.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use the system file search to search for swriter.exe; when found note the path to it, then set file association for .rtf, selecting other application (or words to that effect) and enter swriter.exe with its full path.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
YODA

Post by YODA »

See if it can be opened with Wordpad. If it can you will know it was actually downloaded to your machine
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If Calc is showing up in the Opens With list instead of Writer, then there's a corruption in the Windows Registry, a bug in the installer, a bug in Windows 10, or someone has manually changed what appears in the Opens With list. It seems strange to me that "Windows Media Player" is in that list. I'd reinstall AOO using the "Repair" option to try repairing the Windows Registry entries for OpenOffice.
LostForever

Post by LostForever »

RoryOF wrote:Use the system file search to search for swriter.exe; when found note the path to it, then set file association for .rtf, selecting other application (or words to that effect) and enter swriter.exe with its full path.
I found swriter. (not swriter.exe) It's path is Program Files (x86) > OpenOffice 4 > program > swriter I do a search for "Program Files (x86)" and it's nowhere to be found.

When I do a search for swriter.exe and right click, (to find the path), it doesn't give me the opportunity to find the path. If there is a way, please tell me how to find it.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
YODA

Post by YODA »

Using file explorer go to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program scroll down to swriter.exe right click and set as the default to open .rtf files.
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Why should a user of MS Windows want to open rtf with OpenOffice? The program named "WordPad" is the best rtf editor. WordPad is shipped with every copy of MS Windows.

By the way: https://diaryproducts.net/for/geek/micr ... _nightmare
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

LostForever wrote:
RoryOF wrote:Use the system file search to search for swriter.exe; when found note the path to it, then set file association for .rtf, selecting other application (or words to that effect) and enter swriter.exe with its full path.
I found swriter. (not swriter.exe) It's path is Program Files (x86) > OpenOffice 4 > program > swriter I do a search for "Program Files (x86)" and it's nowhere to be found.
It is "swriter.exe". You haven't turned on the option to show file name extensions. That option is somewhere on the Ribbon in File Explorer.
LostForever wrote:When I do a search for swriter.exe and right click, (to find the path), it doesn't give me the opportunity to find the path. If there is a way, please tell me how to find it.
Right-click the file and select "Properties". The path should be there. There should also be an option to "Open Containing Folder". When the containing folder is opened, the path will be shown in the File Explorer Address Bar.