Closing Down....Again

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
posaune

Closing Down....Again

Post by posaune »

I uninstalled the update KB4343909 that was causing the previous crashing and followed the directions to prevent it re-installing. That seemed to do the trick for several weeks.

Occasionally I've had everything shut down on me and this morning I can barely type in five or six words before it crashes.

As far as I can tell form experimenting, it's one particular document that causes the crash, or it has to do with working in a table or having numbered bullets on.

Any idea what's causing it this time and how I can fix this?

Thank you as always.
Last edited by posaune on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Closing Down....Again

Post by Villeroy »

Forget OpenOffice. It's falling apart.
Install https://libreoffice.org/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
posaune

Post by posaune »

Villeroy wrote:Forget OpenOffice. It's falling apart.
Install https://libreoffice.org/
Why is OO falling apart? Is this issue likely to be an issue with OO rather than with an update on my laptop this time?

If I were to switch to libre office, would all my current documents be able to somehow make the switch? Would I have to copy and paste each one by hand? I'd still have to work with many of my current documents.

MODERATORS: Can this be moved to the general troubleshooting forum? I didn't intend it to be in the MS subforum and not even sure how that happened. Thank you.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If I were to switch to libre office, would all my current documents be able to somehow make the switch?
AOO uses exactly the same document format as LO. So either application can open and use files created in the other application.
MODERATORS: Can this be moved to the general troubleshooting forum? I didn't intend it to be in the MS subforum and not even sure how that happened
It was moved here by a mod as it was considered a Windows-related issue.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The big thing about OpenOffice was not the program itself. It was the Open Document Format (ODF). ODF is a truely free and open standard for office documents. There are plenty of applications able to handle ODF. Programs come and programs go. ODF is here to stay (I hope). In 2011 LibreOffice was forked from OpenOffice. They where the almost identical applications with different labels. Since then LibreOffice has been maintained and developed further. OpenOffice is still the same (almost) which is not a bad thing as such but the environments Windows, Linux and MacOS do evolve which brings some unforseen problems with huge and unmaintained Dinosaurs like OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
posaune

Post by posaune »

robleyd wrote:
If I were to switch to libre office, would all my current documents be able to somehow make the switch?
AOO uses exactly the same document format as LO. So either application can open and use files created in the other application.
MODERATORS: Can this be moved to the general troubleshooting forum? I didn't intend it to be in the MS subforum and not even sure how that happened
It was moved here by a mod as it was considered a Windows-related issue.
Thank you, that's helpful about LO. I'll make the switch. Simple matter of downloading and when I open the AOO docs, they'll just work within LO? DO I remove AOO from my laptop?

Sorry, I didn't realize it had been moved. I thought maybe I had mistakenly posted it here. It may be a problem also/entirely? with MS as the entire laptop has now taken to freezing up within two minutes of opening it and I've gone from the docs crashing to they basically won't open at all or if they do, freeze up almost as soon as I open them.

[Luckily, I had a spare laptop and was able to remember my password here.]

Any further advice would be appreciated, even just an opinion how much this had to do with OO, as that's where the problems started this time, yet I can't see how an OO problem led to the whole laptop starting to freeze up.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If an entire laptop is freezing, this is almost certainly a Windows related problem, not an OO problem.

I would suggest you start your first laptop in Safe Mode, and then let Windows update completely. When that is finished, restart that laptop and install OO 4.1.5. If that proves stable, you then know what to do with your second laptop.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
posaune

Post by posaune »

RoryOF wrote:If an entire laptop is freezing, this is almost certainly a Windows related problem, not an OO problem.

I would suggest you start your first laptop in Safe Mode, and then let Windows update completely. When that is finished, restart that laptop and install OO 4.1.5. If that proves stable, you then know what to do with your second laptop.
Hi, Rory, thank you for your help.

I took it in to MicroCenter yesterday and the upshot was that the man uninstalled an app someone had recommended to me long ago (something in the task manager alerted him that might be a problem now, although it never was before). We also uninstalled Open Office and installed Libre Office. That seemed to do the trick.

This morning, the app (Advanced SystemCare Ultimate II I think is the complete name, a drive booster) was back, the problems were back. I managed to uninstall it and I seem to be good again.

Do you think it will still be beneficial to start this laptop up in Safe Mode?

I think the problem is solved but am going to give it a couple more days of seeing it work as it should before marking it solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That app is likely to reoccur - I think you need to find out how to remove it completely - that will require advanced assistance -perhaps see bleepingcomputer.com or some other malware assistamnce site.
posaune

Post by posaune »

Thank you, Rory. It doesn't appear to be back today. However, my task manager now comes up mainly blank. And now, so do my libre office documents.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A blank TaskManager is not to do with OpenOffice: it is something at system level. Is there any message when you try to open a libreoffice document?
 Edit: Try starting Windows in Safe Mode and see if there is any difference with OO or LO