Crashes Constantly

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Tim S

Crashes Constantly

Post by Tim S »

Open Office user of about ten years. The newest release constantly crashes and burns. I have deleted & uninstalled everything twice now with no improvement. When will a patch be released to fix these issues?
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Crashes Constantly

Post by FJCC »

Have you tried resetting your user profile? To do that:
Shutdown OpenOffice
Open any folder and enter %appdata%/openoffice/4 in the address bar near the top.
That will take you to a folder containing a folder name user. Rename that folder to user_old.
Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen.

Is OpenOffice more stable now?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you start Windows in Safe Mode and OO runs stable in that mode, then the problem is interference from some other program or driver on your computer that runs in Windows normal mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There have been recent reports of issues with Windows updates and AOO. See if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice - if it crashes too or not...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I trust you appreciate that it is not because of AOO because AOO does not crash for others.

The crashes occur because something is different on your PC - a corrupted profile, a corrupted file, a corrupted Windows update all come to mind.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
xfazahrk

Post by xfazahrk »

robleyd wrote:There have been recent reports of issues with Windows updates and AOO. See if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution.

I hope this can be elevated to urgent in the aoo community. All of my work is at risk. Yes, I back up. Yes, I restart, reinstall, protect my work. The difficulty is adding multiple layers of work and because of a Windows Update, being forced to go back to MS Office. That's a tough, tough scenario after about 10 years.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

xfazahrk wrote:I hope this can be elevated to urgent in the aoo community. All of my work is at risk. Yes, I back up. Yes, I restart, reinstall, protect my work. The difficulty is adding multiple layers of work and because of a Windows Update, being forced to go back to MS Office. That's a tough, tough scenario after about 10 years.
I trust you appreciate that it is not because of AOO because AOO does not crash for others.

The crashes occur because something is different on your PC - a corrupted profile, a corrupted file, a corrupted Windows update all come to mind. See the post robleyd pointed you to.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Fiji

Post by Fiji »

FJCC wrote:Have you tried resetting your user profile? To do that:
Shutdown OpenOffice
Open any folder and enter %appdata%/openoffice/4 in the address bar near the top.
That will take you to a folder containing a folder name user. Rename that folder to user_old.
Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen.

Thank you very much FJCC this have solved my problem. I'm very happy to return to OO I was fed up with Libre Office. Once again many thanks.
OOo version: 3.4.10 OP: Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

OOo version: 3.4.10 OP: Windows XP
Please update your signature in this forum.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
kiwitechnics

Post by kiwitechnics »

I have been using OO for about 10 years. Starting in v4 I am getting crashes. I have gone back to 4.1.3 with no change so I am about to go back to v3 to see if that helps.
I have documents that have large tables in them and now I cannot edit these at all. I have tried resetting the user which only helped for about a day and then it is back to crashing.
My symptoms are on the first edit the cursor will vanish for about 10 seconds, then be slow to update for about 10 seconds. If you do anything during this time OO will crash, if you wait it will work. After the wait if you do a second edit the wait is about 4x as long. Again on a third edit longer again. You have to save and exit at this point because if you do a forth edit OO just hangs and never returns. This has been getting worse and worse and now it is at the point of being unusable.

This happen on two different W10 computers, one Home & one Pro.

If v3 doesn't help then I face the dreadful possibility of having to learn MS Word/Excel.
openoffice 4.1.6 Windows 10
kiwitechnics

Post by kiwitechnics »

Following on from my previous post

I have now take OO back to version 3.3.0 and all the crashes have stopped, table editing is at full speed and there are no more problems (yay)

Changing back to version 4.1.3 made no difference and I believe there is something big wrong with version 4 when putting tables into documents.

MH
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

version 3.3.0
That is an archaic old version.

Try the LibreOffice. If it is unstable too, then the problem is in the hardware or in the Op. sys.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwitechnics

Post by kiwitechnics »

"That is an archaic old version."

Indeed it is an old version. I have been using it all day and it is working perfectly. I very much doubt it is anything in my PCs. I am using it on two different computers running different operating systems. V4 crashed all the time on both, 3.3.0 doesn't at all. As a bonus it is quite a bit faster too. I don't need the new features in v4 so I will be sticking with v3 thanks.

MH
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am using it on two different computers running different operating systems. V4 crashed all the time on both, 3.3.0 doesn't at all. As a bonus it is quite a bit faster too. I don't need the new features in v4 so I will be sticking with v3 thanks.
It is your choice.
But the LO 6.1.6 x64 version works very stable for me on my Win 10 x64 machine. (The LO has x64 version for the 64 bit Windows.)
kiwitechnics

Post by kiwitechnics »

An update

I hadn't heard of LibreOffice so I installed and tried that. Thanks for the suggestion. It's nice and is working perfectly so my computers must be ok. So in my view OO v4 has a problem with tables embedded in documents crashing the program in the W10 environment. OO v3 doesn't have this problem so something that has been changed is causing this.

MH
mfboffice4

Post by mfboffice4 »

I got a brand new Lenovo computer and could not install our old Office 2013 on it, so have been using Open office, but its constantly crashes and I lose all my work. So frustated it's about to get deleted. HELP. It's the newest version 4.1.6 and I've had nothing but trouble with it. Any helps??
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a New Lenovo Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Make certain Windows 10 is fully updated, then restart your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice:

https://www.libreoffice.org/
kiwitechnics

Post by kiwitechnics »

Zizi64 wrote:Try the LibreOffice:

https://www.libreoffice.org/
I can recommend LibreOffice. My crashes have stopped, there is no learning curve as it has almost the same menus and key use and as a bonus it is noticeably faster.

MH
mfboffice4

Post by mfboffice4 »

Thank you, downloaded LibreOffice and checking it out now. I've lost so much work on Open Office I'm completely aggravated.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a New Lenovo Windows 10 Home