AOO failure on open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
duesy45

AOO failure on open

Post by duesy45 »

running w10 and aoo 3.1.5. When I attempt to open oo I get a doc. recovery window, when I click on start recovery it shows recovery failed and then opens the document.
any ideas what is causing this? The same problem existed in aoo 3.1.3 which was the prior version that I was using.
open office 3.1.5 on windows 10
RusselB

Re: aoo failure on open

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums
I suspect that you have a file that begins with $lock in the same directory that the document is in and that the $lock file is not being deleted upon the closure of the document.
This type of thing has been reported in past, but as not everyone is experiencing the problem we don't know what is causing it.
Next time you open the file, click the Cancel button, rather than the Start Recovery button.
This should open the most recently saved version of the document.
Please check the document as best as you can to ensure that it is complete.
If it is, then close the document, but not Open Office.
Wait for a minute or two to ensure that the file is saved properly, use the file explorer (I don't know what it is called in Windows 10), find the directory that the document was opened from and look for the $lock file.
If you find it, then you can delete it as it contains no information about the file. It's used by the OS to prevent more than one person editing the same file simultaneously.

Off topic, but I noticed that you state that you are using AOO 3.1.5... please double check that you don't mean AOO 4.1.5
If it is 4.1.5, as I suspect, then please update your forum signature using the User Control Panel
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.