Please Help to open document

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Ronel

Please Help to open document

Post by Ronel »

I have been trying to open a 12 page document that I use once a month and update once a month. I have never had problems before and have been using open office for a number of years. Now unfortunately, it freezes on me each time I try to open my document. I can not even view the first page. The document becomes unresponsive immediately on opening and I can not even close it. After a couple of hours It pops out a message that says I must either wait or allow the system to close and report it. Please assist. Thank you
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title hanged to more meaningful Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.3 - Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Please Help to open document

Post by FJCC »

If you can post the document here, someone can take a look. To upload a file, click Post Reply and then look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Ronel

Post by Ronel »

Thank you so much for assisting me. I have tried reloading an older version from my hidden files, I found the file but system can not load it. I have now attached the document and hope you can come up with a solution.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opened OK for me. I think the problem is with your OO installation. Try starting TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's tabs. Note the initial "s" in soffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ronel

Post by Ronel »

Hi Rory, Thank you, I managed to kill all 15 of them. But the document hangs again when I open it. I even tried opening the saved attachment from your site. It shows a grey page that is un responsive. I can see there are 12 pages on the bottom left corner …. but the document It self hangs.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try TaskManager again, you may have missed one or two.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

These soffice processes are left over and show in TaskManager after improper closedown of OpenOffice (such as a crash) or over-hasty power off of the computer, before the OpenOffice housekeeping has been finished and written to disk.