Auto Save During Session

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
O0jl

Auto Save During Session

Post by O0jl »

Since I am here, and ...

I would think that the auto save contents would be used when OO does a "fatal error," "bad allocation," etc. in the recovery process. It hasn't for me. Recovery reverts to the last permanently saved contents that were done manually. With this experience as my source, this seems to be a problem with the mechanism that is doing the auto save and the mechanism that does the recovery -- implies to me they are working separately and neither knows about the other's purpose: i.e. auto save has the latest contents from input; and, recovery would be most useful if it were to recover with the latest input.

Just seems strange to have tools that go to a lot of work and miss the mark for what I think should be their purpose ...
OpenOffice version 4.1.5 and Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Auto Save During Session

Post by Lupp »

How did you set the 'Save AutoRecovery information every' ...?

Since AOO won't know the crash in advance (would avoid it otherwise) it has to save the needed information about the reached state from time to time. Doing it every few seconds is no way for obvious reasons. To retrieve some additional information when the document already crashed, but the application is still running, may sometimes succeed, but should be rather expected to fail. A crash is a crash, after all.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
O0jl

Post by O0jl »

Thank you for the input. If I understand, the implication is that auto-save is not sufficiently useful for any reliable expectation of recovery. The recovery segment uses what it knows and restores the contents to the last manual save since the contents of auto-save is not all that useful! I had that thought though I would have desired something useful in terms of a feature collecting my input; this input would not be corrupt; and the input could be used to deliver a recovered document that could be compared to the last manual save. Then I could make the decision whether to discard; to cut-and-paste; or to replace the last manually save version.

Okay, I'll just save more often and do a suffix so I have control of what is happening to my document (writer or calc) than any reliance upon autoSave or Recovery.

I think this work-around is a bit messy; however, I won't spend time trying to redo something that I had already done and moved on to something else ...

Thanks again!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Time stamped backup may help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
O0jl

Post by O0jl »

Hmmm, thanks. I found something that might help; though, what I found raises a PRIVACY issue that goes back even before 2014 without even enabling, "Always create a backup copy" under Tools->Options-Load/Save->General ... !

All our documents are given a time stamp. Most of the time we work on a copy (Calc or Writer) then save it with a suffix. This, of course, is not at all helpful when the key-strokes to save the next copy get interrupted by the appearance of "Bad Allocation" and then dumped out of OpenOffice to the desktop! Recovery is of no help since it restores back to the last manually saved copy.

The default value for, "Save auto recovery ... " of 15 minutes has been reduced to eight (8) minutes.

Also implemented was the, "Always create a backup copy: on one device to learn more about what it does (more than the .bak type/extension) than given in "HELP!"

More about the "PRIVACY" violation when I find a suitable place to stick it in the forum ...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One of the methods, if autosave of recovery info is obtrusive, is to change the hard disk to an SSD device.

However, I note that using some distros, when working OpenOffice files on a network device, OpenOffice may become sluggish (read: unresponsive) for some 10/15 seconds before and after a user invoked Save process. I have not bothered to investigate this - I work around it - it gives time for thinking.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
O0jl

Post by O0jl »

I am not noticing this particular reaction from AOO. Sometimes I have 57+page documents with lots of inserted pictures. I find AOO is much more suited to what I do than uSoft's word. 5400rpm rust is okay it is included while an SSD (USB) would be one more piece of clutter to haul since my location changes (domestic and international) that has to be inventoried, safeguarded, passed through inspection, and all the likes of these sorts of inconveniences. Can't use the cloud stuff I have to read the fine print whether "free?" or paid and that raises the hair on the back of my neck; and, the majority of the time our connection is metered/measured and seemingly throttled so the restriction is both real and subjective (and maybe a legal? issue).

I too often take a "mini break" or switch to a different computer or different desk/task to wile away these moments where wait-time is involved. Then there are the incessant phone calls that demand my attention. Oh and assisting others by sharing what I learn to help them solve the problems they face. Never a moment without excitement; and, the rare instance of shear panic to fill any of the remaining void!