I can't install OpenOffice 4.1.5

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Rey6

I can't install OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by Rey6 »

Im having a problem downloading then installing open office. I get this message when I go to install. (this installation package could not be opened. verify that the package exists and you can access it.
I running windows 10
robleyd

Re: I can't install OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by robleyd »

You haven't given any detail to work with so I'll take a few guesses. You've posted this in the Windows subforum of Install, Setup and Troubleshooting so I'll assume you are using Windows; and your signature shows apache-openoffice-4.1.5-r1817496-src.zip so I'll guess that is the file you downloaded to try to install Apache OpenOffice.

Based on those assumptions, that is the wrong file to install AOO; it in fact contains the source code to allow one to compile the program. Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/ or use the download link at the bottom right of any page on the forum. The page you reach should offer you a suitable file for download according to your version of Windows - just accept that choice and you will be transferred to a Sourceforge page for the actual download. Click nothing on that page - the download will start after a few seconds.

You should also read the instructions for Downloading and Installing Apache OpenOffice.

If you are not using Windows, please let us know what operating system you are using; and please consider adding you OS and AOO version information in your signature so we don't have to guess. How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Rey6

Post by Rey6 »

Thank you for your quick response. I run windows 10 and in the past have not had a problem downloading and running open office. I have went to www.openoffice.org/download/ and clicked on Windows EXE , English 4.1.5 and it has taken me to https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/. Where I download the file. When I go to install I get the same message. I will try an older version and see if that works.
I running windows 10
Rey6

Post by Rey6 »

It allows me to place the installation files on my computer. but when I go to open and install the files . I get the same message. Even when I download 4.1.3.
I running windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to have administrator rights in your computer and adjust Windows Defender to permit the installation file to run. I am not a current Windows user so cannot give you detail on how to do this.

This information from another similar posting may help
robleyd wrote:How to Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings in Windows 10

As I understand Defender - from someone who doesn't use Windows but has searched occasionally for solutions for others - you need to allow applications rather than file types.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Rey6 wrote:...it has taken me to https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/. Where I download the file.
What is the name of "the file"? Without a file name, we have no way of knowing if "the file" is the file you need.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Rey6

Post by Rey6 »

Apache open office 4.1.3_Win_x86install_us.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 (en-US) Installation Files
OpenOffice 4.1.5 (en-US) Installation Files
I running windows 10
Bassman41

Post by Bassman41 »

I also cannot complete the OO 4.1.5 program installation.
I go thru the various steps and click "install" on several succeeding screens, but come to one that states:
"Wizard was interrupted before OO 4.1.5 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run set-up option again. Click Finish to exit this wizard."
Then I have clicked Finish, gone thru the same set up process multiple times, and come back to the same screen with the same message as above.
I have used Open Office programs, including Text and Spreadsheet, many times in the past, up until 26 Oct, and then I could not open my programs; it would sit there doing nothing. Then I did something, can't remember what now, and could not even open the Open Office icon from my home page. So I attempted to download and install the latest version 4.1.5 and have been stymied ever since.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@Bassman41: Your error message is different, so the problem is different. Your error message has been discussed in other threads. I suggest that you use the forum search box to find them.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just in case the following has any influence on the problem, start TaskManager (Ctrl Shjift Esc) and kill all soffice processes shown on TM's tabs. Note soffice, with an initial "s". This won't do any harm and may help.

If you get an error number on attempting to install OO, please look it up using the search box at top right of OO window.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bassman41

Post by Bassman41 »

Thanks RoryOF for trying to help; I had tried using Task Manager and doing that (ending the Open office task) but it did not help.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Slowandlow

Post by Slowandlow »

This has to do with the (very effective) Window Defender Settings.

I had the same problems and my solution was as follows:

Go to the official OpenOffice website, choose your download, you will get redirected to the downloadsite and after a moment you will be asked what to do with the downloading file. I choose "save as" and selected desktop as destination, continue and let the file be completely downloaded.

Then open the "Allow an app through controlled folder access"- window in Windows Defender Security Centre. There you click the "+ Add an allowed app"- sign, in the File explorer- window that appears, you choose desktop and select the downloaded file "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 Win x86 install sv.exe", press "open" and the file explorer- window will close. This file is now allowed to be opened, and can be found as "added" under the "+..." sign at the "Allow and app..."- window.

Now you open the installation file "Apache OpenOffice.exe" at the desktop, let the installation guide proceed. Eventually there will appear an Error message, saying "Warning 1909: cant create the OpenOffice shortcut". I left the massage- box open and returned to the "Allow an app..."- window, there i hit the "+..." again and in the file explorer- window, i choose "desktop", opened the newly created installation folder (cant remember the name, but it will be obvious which one to select), scrolled down (still in the file explorer window), opened the setup- folder and selected the two "vcredist x64" and "-86.exe" files, pressed "open" and the file explorer window will now close.

These three files will now be listed as added under the "+..." sign in the "Allow an app..."- window in the Windows Defender Security Centre. When all this was done, i went back to the error message- box and hit "OK", now the installation guide will continue and complete the installation. Afterwards there will be seven new OpenOffice shortcuts/signs in the windows start menu. Installation completed!

NOTE 1: It may not be nessecary to add the two "vcredist.exe" files at the "Allow an app..."- window, maybe its enough to just press "OK" when the error message appears (i havent tried that, therefore i dont know...)

NOTE 2: After completing installation, you can delete the (two) installation- file and -folder from your computer, and remove the three added installation files at the "Allow an app..." in the Windows Defender Security Centre, they are not needed anymore.

NOTE 3: After doing this installation of the OpenOffice program, you will GET IN TROUBLE with running the program and saving your work! Please read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91894&p=435970&hil ... der+access

and follow the steps as provided from "wqi", to make the Powershell entry, this will allow the file "soffice.bin" to get through the security system. This MUST BE DONE in order to get your copy of OpenOffice to work as intended!

Hope this will help you!
BRG / Örjan.
OpenOffice 4.6.1 Windows 10, 2018 fall update
oemguy

Post by oemguy »

you can fix the issue by downloading the latest version for windows :D 10 4.1.7 here = https://www.openoffice.org/download/
open office 4.1.7 on windows 10 home