Windows 7 file won't recover

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
davwinter

Windows 7 file won't recover

Post by davwinter »

Let me start by saying I work in Windows 7. Professional Version 6.1. Despite having access to a Mac, moving the file to the Mac environment is not a solution for me.

The situation: I saved an OO file (in Windows 7) yesterday and today it demands to be recovered, but will not.

OO goes into a loop. Shows me the properly formatted document, then the document disappears and is replaced by the OO Document Recovery dialog box, which identifies the file. When I click OK, the dialog box disappears, then reappears. It's a loop and I have to force my way out of Recovery. I have tried working with copies of the file, with backup versions pulled off remote backup and with a prior version of the file. None are recoverable.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled OO 4.1.5.

What does work is to send the file to Mac OS 10.7.5 and OO 4.1.1. The file opens fine there. I can make a copy of the Mac file, open the copy in the Mac OS and it is fine, but when I send the file back to Windows 7, it still needs to be recovered, but can't be.

The file was last worked on in the Windows 7 version of OO 4.1.5

I have yet to install OO 4.1.1 on the Windows 7 and see if the file can open there. My preference would be to not have to do the reinstall twice. Any thoughts on getting a successful recovery in OO 4.1.5?

If I'm forced to try OO 4.1.1 on Windows and it proves successful, any thoughts on getting it into the 4.1.5 and Windows environment? I'm gun-shy at the moment.

Finally, there's another consideration. When I install OO 4.1.5, the dialog box says there's a conflict with Skype. Skype is shut down. I don't want to uninstall Skype and I've chosen to ignore the conflict.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 7 / Open Office 4.1.1 on Mac OS `0.7.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Windows 7 file won't recover

Post by Zizi64 »

The situation: I saved an OO file (in Windows 7) yesterday and today it demands to be recovered, but will not.
Never save your important files onto a removable media directly, and always wait a few minutes after saving the documents - before you shutdown the computer.

Can you upload the damaged file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Have you tried clicking cancel when the recovery process starts instead of OK?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
davwinter

Post by davwinter »

Tom - yes, I tried to click cancel, but the rotation is too fast for that to take effect. Thanks for the suggestion.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use the nuclear option. Try resetting the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
davwinter

Post by davwinter »

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.

I've tried that several times. When I open OO again, I get into the same loop and can't recover the file and also can't try to interrupt the cycle with a Save As command.

Opening in 4.1.1 didn't work either.

I may have to rebuild the file, using a PDF as a reference.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to install the LibreOffice. You can test with it, if asimilar softwware works fine (or not) in your computer, in the existing environment.
You can install it near the AOO, it is not necessary to remove the AOO.
Or you can try a portable version of the LO: You do not have to install the portable versions, just unpack it. (The portable versions exist for the Windows only.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

davwinter wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.

I've tried that several times. When I open OO again, I get into the same loop and can't recover the file and also can't try to interrupt the cycle with a Save As command.

Opening in 4.1.1 didn't work either.

I may have to rebuild the file, using a PDF as a reference.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Look for a ~.lock file(s) in the Save directory and delete them. If you must rebuild from a PDF, put it through an OCR program (online service at http://www.zamzar.com I think)
 Edit: typo fixed in URL - hurrying out to a meeting. Thanks robleyd 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

www.zamzar.com is what RoryOF meant his fingers to type :-)
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers