Crash recovery failure OO 4.1.5 on Win 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rudolph

Crash recovery failure OO 4.1.5 on Win 10

Post by rudolph »

Recovery attempts to recover the PREVIOUS file I had been working on. The file it recovers has been satisfactorily saved and closed an hour or so before usually. This has happened about twenty times since I upgraded to Apache OO 4.1.5. Win 10 updates are annoying but do not appear to be a factor as this arises with new and existing drawings.

I mainly use Draw and I use it for small, simple block diagrams - nothing big, clever and no inserts etc etc. I rarely have more than one window open, and there are no obvious clues in my use of menus, commands etc. I rarely had problems with earlier versions of OO over many years, but when I did have a failure, Recovery worked well.

I have checked that Recovery does not corrupt the previous file after it has been "Recovered" so no damage, just irritating. I am now saving very frequently so at least I don't lose too much!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows Ten
RusselB

Re: Crash recovery failure OO 4.1.5 on Win 10

Post by RusselB »

First off, Welcome to the Forums.
A few options you can try:
1) Reset your OpenOffice user profile. This seems to resolve many problems that we have a hard (impossible) time identifying and resolving via other methods.
2) Go back to an earlier version of OpenOffice.
3) Run OpenOffice in Windows Safe Mode.

These suggestions are not listed in any particular order, so give them a try in whichever order you wish.
As to frequently saving, there is an extension that creates a time stamped backup (to my understanding, I don't use the extension) and is available at https://github.com/kovleventer/timeStampBackup/pull/4
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
D N S

Post by D N S »

I have updated to open office to 4.1.5.version.Still there is file recovery when open office starts.What is the reason? Previously the same problem has been solved by installation of new version, but this time this is not responding.
Open Office 3.3 on WindowsXP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How are you closing your file and then OpenOffice? Usually a recovery indicates that there has been some form of improper shut-down of OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rudolph

Post by rudolph »

Thank you all for your quick responses. I will try the suggestions but some changes are not backwards compatible, eg colour names.

I usually save by clicking the icon or using Save As to create a variant. I close OO after this by clicking on X in top right corner.
The crashes occur at various times and I cannot see any common thread to possible causes. I have just had a crash immediately after clicking Save icon, but never before.

It doesn't help that I often use hyphens in the file name to describe variants. When attempting recovery, the recovery window file name shown is truncated before the hyphen. Is there some significance to the use of hyphens that I need to understand?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer about hyphens, but suggest trying the underscore character _ instead.

OO writes some housekeeping to the disk, which takes a little time (a few extra seconds), so it is best to wait until disk activity has ceased before powering off. Instead of the X in the corner, try .File Exit or Ctrl Q to close OpenOffice after saving your file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rudolph

Post by rudolph »

Thanks Rory. Good suggestions.

OO 4.1.5 seems to restart itself immediately after Crashing on some occasions. And maybe that's when it recovers the wrong file because the housekeeping file is not current. That suggests that the housekeeping file is not updated following a Save/Save As from an hour before. Still an unwelcome change compared to previous versions. It would be nice if this was put on the Fix list although if other people are not having crashes in Draw, I suppose it'll be hard. It's just that somebody presumably improved the Recovery mechanism and it might possibly be sufficiently fresh in their minds to be able to pin-point the slip-up in the logic change?

I'm not sure of protocol. Should I leave this open or mark it SOLVED on the basis that I have work-arounds?
Lloyd1113

Post by Lloyd1113 »

I have had the "crash recovery" problem since I updated to OO 4.1.5. It happens when I open a file, when I am working on a file and/or when I am closing a file. It does not matter whether it is an ODT or and ODS file. Everything gets recovered but it is annoying to have torecover the sme file every few minutes.
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rudolph

Post by rudolph »

I have now noticed that crashes most often occur when either:
- the disc stops whirring suggesting buffer control has failed
- a few seconds after I have changed the zoom level

It is less likely to fail when my diagram is relatively small and simple, but failures still happen.
I now use Save As very frequently to reduce the incidence of Crashes, but as this prevents Undo, I increment the file name so that I can still go back if needed.

All is a big step backwards for me. (I have tried resetting profile, reloading software etc and do not run any clever or unusual software.)