[Solved] Problems installing latest Java update on Windows

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
John_Ha
Volunteer

[Solved] Problems installing latest Java update on Windows

Post by John_Ha »

I experienced several problems installing the latest Java update (1.8.0_181, July 2018) on Windows 7.

1 Java did not automatically update. I solved this by going to https://java.com/en/download/windows-64bit.jsp. When I attempted to download the update I was given a screen where I had to agree to cookie conditions. I think this is as a result of the European General Data Protection Regulation law where explicit user consent now needs to be given. Once I gave consent, the 64 bit update downloaded and installed. Presumably this screen was also presented to the Automatic update preventing it from working.

2 As AOO needs 32 bit Java I then went to Java Downloads for All Operating Systems and tried to download 32-bit Java. I was again presented by a screen where I had to agree to cookie conditions before the download would work. Once I gave consent, the update downloaded and installed. However, when I started AOO I got an error message saying Java would not work. I discovered that I needed to tick the radio button in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java to select the update. No previous update has needed this final step.
Successful installation of 32 bit Java - July update 1.8.0_181
Successful installation of 32 bit Java - July update 1.8.0_181
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.