OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I have been experiencing the same problem with Cal, as the previous poster. Yesterday Windows 10 did an update on my HP ENVY i7 Laptop; immediately after which my 611k multi-sheet file failed to SAVE, after a trivial data addition. I created this file under version 4.1.3; tried everything noted previously to the past POSTER - with similar lack of success, then I upgraded to Version 4.1.5. Nothing has helped so far.

I even copied my last backup version of my CAL file, and it fails.

However, I have emailed a copy of the file to my OLD XP and it opens & behaves under an old 3.3.0 version of Open Office... so my FILE is OK, as well as its backup version.

How can I send you a copy of my CAL file ??
 Edit: Split from viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5; Windows 10; HP ENVY Laptop
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

Well folks, I came back to my PC after having a coffee and my CAL file had saved finally.

So, I decided to time it with these results with a stop watch..

I added a few letters to one cell in my CAL sheet; and timed what happened after I clicked the SAVE icon.

5 seconds in, the top bar said '(not responding)'
Approx 2.5 MINUTES later the Laptop began to spin up its fans, the typical GREEN bar ran across the bottom; and the save completed.
Closed the file & Reopened it; and it indeed did SAVE the small text change in the cell.

I did this several times with EXACTLY the same result.

I also noted that if you click the screen, after the '(Not Responding') message appears, the Cal Sheet ghosts into a white version; but still saves after 2.5 minutes.

After each save finally occurs, the CAL sheet accepts input, as you would expect... but SAVE always behaves with the same DELAY characteristic.

It is the SAVE function that is buggered GUYS.
The PC gets lost; The CAL sheet spawns a '(not responding)' message; BUT eventually recovers with the SAVE completed GREEN bar pass at the bottom.
This is nuts ... I can't wait over 2.5 minute for every save guys.

It seems to me that WINDOWS 10 is throwing something in the way of the SAVE function, without a notice dialogue box; but finally 'times out'; and lets it complete.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Post by John_Ha »

pranthony wrote:How can I send you a copy of my CAL file ??
I have sent you my ID. I have a W10 "pre-update" system available so I can test both before and after the update.

You will note that your problem "saving large file fails" is completely different from the other thread - OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update where "opening a large file causes hang and crash". Even so, have you tried the steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 suggested in the other thread? In particular, did the update install successfully or is it only partially installed?

Please do not post on the other thread. YOUR PROBLEM IS DIFFERENT.

The other thread is about a crash when a file is OPENED.

Your thread is about a problem when a file is SAVED. You can open the file.

Please read Survival Guide for the forum - One issue per thread which asks users not to hijack other threads. A moderator has already moved your hijack post to here yet you have now put it back!
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

Many Thx to John_Ha for helping trouble shoot my Open Office CALc SAVE delay problem.
In the end, it turned out to be the Aug 15th Microsoft Update. Once KB4343909 was uninstalled, it reversed to July 11, 2018 update KB4338819, as my Laptop re-booted today.
All my Open Office CALc SAVE problems vanished.
Grrrrrrrr; but what a relief ,,, I can get back to my data.

I have found this information on the FAILED Update..
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... -kb4343909
Last edited by pranthony on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

pranthony wrote:... Once KS434390... was uninstalled, it got magically replaced by update KS4338819
That's a typo - it should be "Once KB434390... was uninstalled, it got magically replaced by update KB4338819"
 Edit: I think the correct number is KB4343909. 
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

Yes .. B not S .... Blush ... Oops.. Thx again John.
The KB4338819 was a previous (July) Update on my Laptop, which the system reverted back to. The Link I provided suggests the KB4343909 has more than the Open Office Bug, and they plan an update.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

UPDATE to the "Remove KB4343909 solution" The Problem is NOT QUITE gone; it Revisited my Laptop with today's W10 Update round.
.... This morning (Aug 21st, 2018), my Windows 10 decided to run another Update; and KB4343909 came back.
With it, the OO Save problem came back; and removing the KB4343909 update once again resolved the problem. :) and my SAVEs again work.

My question(s) now are :: .....
How can I keep Windows 10 from forcing me to repeat this cycle every time KB4343909 comes back ??
Is there a new Version solution or patch from OO coming ??
Has anyone from OO told Microsoft that their KB4343909 Update is crashing OO ??
groovimus

Post by groovimus »

I'm here for the same reason, writing a Ph.D thesis and started having the crash-on-save issue with writer around Aug 13 which I assume was the KB4343909 pack (the history entry for 8-13 is gone) since I uninstalled it as per a MS forum moderator around 8-22, and tried to stop it from reinstalling but it did anyway on 8-28. I never got relief from this hell anyway with the uninstall of this update. What happens with me is that I can save a few times after startup, maybe 7~8, and then it starts crashing. I begged for a way to get MS developers into this and no surprise, moderator pooh poohed it. She says it is up to application developers to keep up with Win10 evolution. The LO alternative doesn't work out, since the saves take longer and longer, up to 9 minutes or so, after about the same number of tries as OO. I have tried everything imaginable for Win 10, every file check and file repair tool they have. I did install an Ubuntu partition and have been delaying the go ahead on that b/c of the need to migrate all the necessary fonts, which I have yet to study up on beyond listing the fonts used. Plus the setup of a cloud backup for that. We may be at the mercy of the developer community for this, anyone heard from any of them?
OpenOffice 3.4.0 on Windows 10
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I had had several updates attempts by Win10 .... but rolling back seems the only available solution to keep my work going. The fix for this seems to be in OO's ballpark if they want to remain relevant. If I could afford to move elsewhere I would; since our crys for help seem in vain.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Those of us on these forums are end users, not coders/developers of OpenOffice.
There is a developer's mailing list if you feel that a problem introduced by software created by another company should be fixed by changing the OpenOffice software.
Many users on this forum do not use Windows and all of the recent problems reported are due to updates on Windows 10.
I, for one, hated many things about Windows 10 back when it first came out, and stuck with Windows 7, and (for the most part) am perfectly happy with what I'm using.
If you want/need something that will (should?) maintain complete compatibility with the various updates from Windows, then my only suggestion is to pay the money to Microsoft to buy Microsoft Office.
There is no way that any other company can guarantee complete and consistent updates that work with any updates to Windows 10.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with RusselB: moving to another operating system, in my case Xubuntu, based on Ubuntu (versions from 8.04 through to current 18.04, over the past ten years), may solve your problem. It is your decision, your budget, your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A link in this post offers a method to prevent KB4343909 reinstalling.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
xfazahrk

Post by xfazahrk »

Has anyone answered groovimus here? I am reading and re-reading, and obviously missing a fix.
I'm here for the same reason, writing a Ph.D thesis and started having the crash-on-save issue with writer around Aug 13 which I assume was the KB4343909 pack (the history entry for 8-13 is gone) since I uninstalled it as per a MS forum moderator around 8-22, and tried to stop it from reinstalling but it did anyway on 8-28. I never got relief from this hell anyway with the uninstall of this update. What happens with me is that I can save a few times after startup, maybe 7~8, and then it starts crashing. I begged for a way to get MS developers into this and no surprise, moderator pooh poohed it. She says it is up to application developers to keep up with Win10 evolution. The LO alternative doesn't work out, since the saves take longer and longer, up to 9 minutes or so, after about the same number of tries as OO. I have tried everything imaginable for Win 10, every file check and file repair tool they have. I did install an Ubuntu partition and have been delaying the go ahead on that b/c of the need to migrate all the necessary fonts, which I have yet to study up on beyond listing the fonts used. Plus the setup of a cloud backup for that. We may be at the mercy of the developer community for this, anyone heard from any of them?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Reports are that a more recent Windows update has cured the earlier problems.
xfazahrk

Post by xfazahrk »

RoryOF wrote:Reports are that a more recent Windows update has cured the earlier problems.
Thank you much for the reply and this info. I will search for Windows updates on my computer and perhaps reinstall all.

Aside: I totally understand the comment I read in here that said, "If you want stability, go buy Windows." There's no arguing that. But I appreciate that the consideration was given at the very outset (building in compatibility, not guaranteed, but still...compatibility) for people out here who don't like Windows but who, for either technical reasons or ability reasons, aren't as able to flip to another OS. There's a huge installed base out there and yes, we know that we don't even really own our own computers, given the vicissitudes of updates. So, I'll get there. Just wanted to say thanks, in the meantime for meeting us at a reasonable working point. Given that, an expectation of a little bit of help, based on that first build, ain't an altogether crazy thing to ask when we're looking at losing data or cumbersome work processes to save it.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Unless you are using particular fonts, Ubuntu should come with close equivalents to "standard" fonts pre-installed. On Ubuntu, running

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
in a terminal should install the "standard" Windows fonts of Arial, Times New Roman, etc

It is possible to install the later fonts, but this is a more complex process (need to extract them from Windows CAB files, also copyright).
dougoffice

Post by dougoffice »

I don't know where else to post or where to get help, but I just installed openoffice a few days ago and like how calc seems to work, when it works. But within minutes it crashed the first time. It has crashed dozens of times in a few days and I've lost lots of work, even though I try saving every couple minutes or so. I search the forum for "calc crashes", and I see 25 pages of crash inquiries, just for calc. Is this a real product?? I'd like to use it because it's the only free product you can find that you can use offline. But I guess I need to settle for online freebees, or pay uSoft for the real Excel. I am fairly new to Windows 10 and have the latest Ver 4.1.5. I will ask for the 1000th time how to stop the crashes. But I don't want anyone telling me how to fix it. I want to know when the creators of this product are going to fix it. Just a matter of you get what you pay for?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

dougoffice , said
I want to know when the creators of this product are going to fix it.
The answer to that is never.
OpenOffice originated in the 1980's as the Star Office Suite, a for sale product. In the 1990's Sun Micro Systems purchased the software, took over development and released it as a free product. In 2008, Oracle purchased Sun and turned the software over to the Apache Software Foundation. Apache relies entirely volunteers for both development and support. OpenOffice volunteers who work on known bugs in their spare time.
Unfortunately, vague report like
It has crashed dozens of times in a few days
doesn't give them enough information to look for bugs.
Be aware that every day there are many thousands of users that don't experience the crashes you are seeing.
If OpenOffice is problematic for you, perhaps LibreOffice would work better.
LibreOffice is based on the same original source code but has been under development by different group of developers so there are now some small differences.
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11