[Solved] OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I second that request ..... or how do we get this topic reTabled as unSolved, since the original reason we thought it was solved has failed quickly over time, as Win10 laid out even more updates. I am not hijacking the topic, but noting that the fix that I suggested last year has proven to be only a bandaid / deferral of a significant unSolved problem..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5; Windows 10; HP ENVY Laptop
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

pranthony wrote:how do we get this topic reTabled as unSolved
If you started the thread, just edit the Subject line.

If you did not start the thread then you hijacked someone else's thread. Their problem was obviously solved because they marked the thread solved.

Your own problem is obviously different from the problem in this thread so start your own thread with your own problem. You then get to control when it is solved.

See the Survival Guide to the Forum.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

Zizi64 wrote:Try the LibreOffice.
Thank you for the 'move to' LibreOffice tip ...... It works great with my OO files; and lives happily within my Windows 10 OS.

I am sad to abandon, OO; but there seems no long term fix for OO's incompatibility with any of the last year's worth of Windows 10 updates. As I reported previously, Microsoft recently effectively closed the door on the 'Un-Install Updates' strategy, that was tabled as the SOLVED solution last August. :crazy:
migs

Post by migs »

We have about 20 machines using several levels of OO v4.1, up to the latest.
Most work without serious issues, except for occasional Bad Allocation problems when we get too many files opened.

Out of these, we recently had two machines experiencing the bad alloc exceptions after working for 10 minutes.
On one of them, the problem stopped after we forced the latest Windows 10 Updates into it, seems to be working fine for now.

The other one continued to fail and we just installed LibreOffice 64bit, no issues anymore.
We are now considering upgrading our systems to LibreOffice in the near future, OO was far superior when we first compared both versions few years ago, but LibreOffice seems to be our next target environment.
All our software developed in Java for OO is 100% compatible to LibreOffice, which is great.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP / OpenOffice Dev 3.2 on Windows XP
es0

Post by es0 »

migs wrote:We have about 20 machines using several levels of OO v4.1, up to the latest.
Most work without serious issues, except for occasional Bad Allocation problems when we get too many files opened.

Out of these, we recently had two machines experiencing the bad alloc exceptions after working for 10 minutes.
On one of them, the problem stopped after we forced the latest Windows 10 Updates into it, seems to be working fine for now.

The other one continued to fail and we just installed LibreOffice 64bit, no issues anymore.
We are now considering upgrading our systems to LibreOffice in the near future, OO was far superior when we first compared both versions few years ago, but LibreOffice seems to be our next target environment.
All our software developed in Java for OO is 100% compatible to LibreOffice, which is great.
I switched to LibreOffice a few months ago when Zizi64 suggested it and am very grateful they did. migs, I agree, OO used to be better for my needs, but I think that must've been a long time ago. It's crazy how long I suffered with OO Writer not outputting .docx. LibreOffice does. Have had no problems with crashing since then and the transition was remarkably painless.
Apache OpenOffice 4.15 AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25
Windows 10 build 17134.228
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I absolutely agree .... This OO story is so sad :((
Despite many successes to keep OO alive, by reversing Windows 10 updates; Microsoft eventually killed my ability to avoid their wave of updates.
Over years, I eventually tried every 'Fix' strategy offered by this forum; but nothing addressed the heart of the Windows Update 'block to OO file saving'.
So, I had no choice but to take the advise of many to move to the comparatively inferior LibreOffice.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

es0 wrote:It's crazy how long I suffered with OO Writer not outputting .docx. LibreOffice does.
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt and never save as a .docx.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
es0

Post by es0 »

John_Ha wrote:
es0 wrote:It's crazy how long I suffered with OO Writer not outputting .docx. LibreOffice does.
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt and never save as a .docx.
Very aware of that. However, until the entire world is on OO or LO, then .docx output is mandatory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.15 AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25
Windows 10 build 17134.228
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Very aware of that. However, until the entire world is on OO or LO, then .docx output is mandatory.
The OOXML (.docx, .xlsx) format is incompatible with itself, because it has two versions: the well documented "Strict" one, which is not fully supported by the MSO, and the Transitional one, what is often changed without a full documentation. And it the Transitional one is the default format of the MSO. You can modify this property in the deep of the setting in the MSO...

NEVER use the OOXML formats!

Always use the native, intrenatioanal standard ODF file formats (.odt, .ods, .odp, .odg) for the long time compatibility.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.