[Solved] OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
wdrit

Re: OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Post by wdrit »

It was the latest update (Aug 14 for me,) It also took out a driver for my printer (which I fixed). The calc crashes due to a bad memory allocation, a problem I've had before with previous versions of OpenOffice and my calcs and only managed to get rid of it when a new OpenOffice update came out. I'll be waiting for the tech boys at whatever firm is responsible for it now, or I'll switch to other software for a fix.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

wdrit wrote:It also took out a driver for my printer (which I fixed).
See the forum - W10 often installs the wrong printer driver but it only affects 32 bit applications. The printer driver will be a 64 bit driver but AOO is a 32 bit application, and needs some software to interface to the printer driver.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Neyephe

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice Calc Crashes after W10 update

Post by Neyephe »

Uninstalling the update fixed my OO issues, but last night my comp redownloaded that update and all my problems started again. I just uninstalled it a second time. Do any of you know how to keep my system from reinstalling that update?
es0

Post by es0 »

Neyephe wrote:Uninstalling the update fixed my OO issues, but last night my comp redownloaded that update and all my problems started again. I just uninstalled it a second time. Do any of you know how to keep my system from reinstalling that update?
You can at least pause the update for ~a month. Go to Windows Update -> Advanced options -> Pause Updates. It gives a reprieve for 35 days.

Also take note of which version is the culprit. Then, if it reinstalls that same version in 35 days, you can roll back again, and pause once more. It won't let you pause repeatedly without going through a full update cycle but it will let you roll back and pause again (at least,i'm hoping it continues to let me do that!).
Apache OpenOffice 4.15 AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25
Windows 10 build 17134.228
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

UPDATE to the "Remove KB4343909 solution"
.... This morning (Aug 21st, 2018), my Windows 10 decided to run another Update; and KB4343909 came back.
With it, the OO Save problem came back; and removing the KB4343909 update once again resolved the problem. :) and my SAVEs again work.

My question(s) now are :: .....
How can I keep Windows 10 from forcing me to repeat this cycle every time KB4343909 comes back ??
Is there a new Version solution or patch from OO coming ??
Has anyone from OO told Microsoft that their KB4343909 Update is crashing OO ??
Last edited by pranthony on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5; Windows 10; HP ENVY Laptop
CSRepton

Post by CSRepton »

As far as I know all you can do with windows 10 is to delay the update, but you can only do ths a few times. If you know how t get a meaningful message to microsoft I would like to know. There is such a widespread comment on this update and the problems it has caused (not just with OO) that I cannot believe they are unaware of the problem.
Chhers
Charlie
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

Thank you for your reply, CSRepton.....
Then, I can only await the MS solution, with my Uninstall button at the ready for any resurfacing of KB4343909 :((
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I seems to me that the SOLVED Flag is misleading on this Thread... Can we remove it & how is that done ??

We thought a solution was found, but Uninstalling KB4343909 has proven short term, until MS reissues the Killer Update KB4343909 again.

That is: There is no question that Uninstalling KB4343909 returns proper SAVE function to OO; but it lasts only 24 to 48 hrs.

I've tried putting MS WIN10 Update into MANUAL mode; as recommended by MS support .... but that failed to hold off KS4343909 from returning.
I've tried installing KB4340917, as recommended on the MS website for KB4343909 problems ... but that UPDATE also crashes OO , when Saving.

I acknowledge that setting WiFi so Updates do not download likely works; but that is also a short term band-aid, which cripples my Laptop for other things.

I found this insight on the MS forms; where they are struggling with KB4343909 impacting Network access .... Can anyone see a 'hint' to the OO struggles in these dialogues ??
It suggests that "The KB4343909 update has changed something in file sharing." Is this related to OO getting lost when it trys to SAVE updates ??

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... progeneral
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

I've had to uninstall the update 3 times already. It is frustrating to loose the time to uninstalling and restarting the computer to only have to do it again the next day. I changed my computer's inactive hours to the opposite of what I normally use the computer so it will have to notify me of an update before the computer restarts. This has so far bought more a longer time period between issues because I can click "not now" instead of the computer auto-restarting.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I have just finished a long chat with MS Tech Team and was offered this solution to keep KB4343909 from revisiting my W10 Laptop. Like many other things I've tried, time will be our best guide to see if it worked. Here is what they suggested ..

The following troubleshooter is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... de.diagcab
don.hark@gmail.com

Post by don.hark@gmail.com »

I've follow this with interest. Having problems with crashing after KB434390 hit my system.
except my calc files are not large, nor writer's. both will crash.
I'd get about 10 minutes of use, then it starts and they die. no open problems but eventually save problems. No problem recovering.
So I was doing a very inconvenient work around. I'd only work one file at a time. A "tell" was when "save as" wouldn't work. Then I close the file, And invoke opening another and repeat the process.
Also per discussion: I checked my updates. Shows KB434390 installed on 8/15/18 after which my troubles started.

I have a 2nd computer, same model.
I ran an experiment. Used it. AOO doesn't appear to crash of act oddly.
I checked it's update record.
This is interesting. It shows a KB4343909 installed on 8/22. No sign of an 8/15 update, no sign it ever hit that machine.
which isn't unusual as I don't use it as frequently.
The 909 isn't a typo.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
steve-o

Post by steve-o »

I am also suffering through this issue with KB4343909 on four separate machines, all of which run Windows 10. My crashes are not limited to just when making saves, although saves do often (but not always) cause a crash. I also just get random crashes for no apparent reason when attempting ordinary tasks. Sometimes crashes are preceded by strange behaviors like graphical tearing, failure to respond to certain commands (like I click a toolbar button and get the button animation, but the effect doesn't occur), or general lag. Sometimes I get a nonsensical error dialog ("object has already been disposed", "bad allocation") with only an OK button and the crash occurs after hitting it.

FWIW, I think this issue is serious enough that the forum needs a stickied post about it to help people who are, no doubt, coming to the forum to figure out why OO is suddenly unusable.

Following the advice in this thread, I've managed to uninstall and then hide the KB4343909 on SOME of the machines I use. Sadly with the machine I am now typing on, the update seems to have managed to slip back through and is no longer on my list of updates that I'm allowed to uninstall. I tried rolling back to the earliest available System Restore point and still can't uninstall from there.

I'm starting to worry that I will simply have to abandon OpenOffice for good. I've tried switching to LibreOffice on two separate occasions only to find that (other than the pretty icons) all of the noticeable "enhancements" make the experience worse for my usage case (their new Calc AutoFilter in particular they announced with such pride but is a UX disaster). Still, if this problem effects LO as well at least I know it's still being developed and they may find a way to solve it.

If I have to move on to a completely different suite, does anybody have suggestions? I was thinking to try Google Docs, but it's not possible to use arbitrary or uploaded fonts with it, so that's an instant disqualification... I would like to stay with an open product, preferably with good OpenDocument support so I can continue using my existing files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could abandon Windows. Why do you think so many of the Volunteers on Forum have moved to linux distros?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

Grrrr… well I finally get that one update gone and it seems something else now crashes the OO... looks like there is a new Security update that my comp downloaded yesterday... KB4457128... Hoping the uninstall of this will work like it did for the other update.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please advise of uninstalling KB4457128 helps with OO stability.
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

Well, so far I've been working in OO for an hour with no issues. Was crashing every 10 minutes before. If I start crashing again without that update I'll come back here.
Durgamaa

Post by Durgamaa »

I'm having this problem (though never happened before in many years of using OO), and have tried every solution on this forum, to no avail.
I most recently tried uninstalling the windows-10-update-kb4343909, but the Uninstall option does not appear for me once I've selected the update I wish to uninstall.
Not even sure this will help, as there have been 2 or 3 more Windows updates installed since then (all automatically).

PLEASE HELP. I really need to get work (now overdue) done for my clients ASAP - for their health (I work in healthcare).
Apache Open Office 4.1.5
Running on Windows 10
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

Durgamaa wrote:I'm having this problem (though never happened before in many years of using OO), and have tried every solution on this forum, to no avail.
I most recently tried uninstalling the windows-10-update-kb4343909, but the Uninstall option does not appear for me once I've selected the update I wish to uninstall.
Not even sure this will help, as there have been 2 or 3 more Windows updates installed since then (all automatically).

PLEASE HELP. I really need to get work (now overdue) done for my clients ASAP - for their health (I work in healthcare).

I have to right click on the update for the uninstall option to come up.
aguess

Post by aguess »

Experiencing the same issue as everyone else. I use Calc for bookkeeping, I want privacy so moved from google documents for that reason.
OpenOffice4.01 on Windows 8.1
Durgamaa

Post by Durgamaa »

Neyephe wrote:
Durgamaa wrote:I'm having this problem (though never happened before in many years of using OO), and have tried every solution on this forum, to no avail.

I have to right click on the update for the uninstall option to come up.
NOPE!
Obviously the first thing I would try if I didn't see a button!

Someone more helpful PLEASE!
Apache Open Office 4.1.5
Running on Windows 10
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

This is how I uninstall updates on my comp:

I type "Windows update settings" in the search box next to the windows button and click on it. I then click on Update History. I then click on Uninstall updates. This is where I have to right click for uninstall to show up.

I have an HP pavilion laptop and this has always worked for me. If this is what you are already doing, then maybe someone else with more knowledge of other comp set ups can help.
Durgamaa

Post by Durgamaa »

I did the same. Did not work.
Apache Open Office 4.1.5
Running on Windows 10
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

Hey, when uninstalling the update for the third time, I noticed that after clicking the update to uninstall, the word uninstall then appeared next to "Organize" at the top and I was able to click on it to uninstall the update. It is not there unless you select an update. It was the first time I had noticed this as it does not appear as a clickable text.

Hope this can help if you haven't already figured out how to remove it from your comp.
Durgamaa

Post by Durgamaa »

Thanks. I ended up chatting with Windows support - I was only then able to select the most recent update and uninstall it. Didn't allow me to uninstall any others, but that seems to have worked. For now.
Apache Open Office 4.1.5
Running on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice (at least the portable version) .

The development of the LO is more extensive, and faster: maybe these incompatibility issues was fixed by now in the LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

It is Now March 2019 .... Joining others in a long struggle with this problem, It was my suggestion Aug 16, 2018 to uninstalled the Security update noted; BUT then almost ever month since, Windows sent another one to replace it with whatever is the 'OOP' killer bug. Once uninstalled, I got another few weeks of OO usability, and then another Win10 update insisted reboot to load. This process has repeated until February 25th, 2019, when Security update KB4470788 arrived and refused to be uninstalled. Since, my OO work has been dead to me, with the same hard freeze described by many in this forum. The basic OO freeze symptom has never changed; and I have followed / tried all your many past suggestions. Up to this February (2019), only the worrisome uninstalling of Security Updates has temporarily fixed the problem; BUT now Windows 10 refuses to allow the most recent update to be uninstalled. To me it seems Microsoft's Win10 has an effective secret tool to repeatedly discourage OO loyal users out of their Office Market space. I will keep checking back here for a better solution, but hope dims that the OO community has a solid handle on the cause for this work killer.
es0

Post by es0 »

pranthony wrote:It is Now March 2019 .... Joining others in a long struggle with this problem, It was my suggestion Aug 16, 2018 to uninstalled the Security update noted; BUT then almost ever month since, Windows sent another one to replace it with whatever is the 'OOP' killer bug. Once uninstalled, I got another few weeks of OO usability, and then another Win10 update insisted reboot to load. This process has repeated until February 25th, 2019, when Security update KB4470788 arrived and refused to be uninstalled. Since, my OO work has been dead to me, with the same hard freeze described by many in this forum. The basic OO freeze symptom has never changed; and I have followed / tried all your many past suggestions. Up to this February (2019), only the worrisome uninstalling of Security Updates has temporarily fixed the problem; BUT now Windows 10 refuses to allow the most recent update to be uninstalled. To me it seems Microsoft's Win10 has an effective secret tool to repeatedly discourage OO loyal users out of their Office Market space. I will keep checking back here for a better solution, but hope dims that the OO community has a solid handle on the cause for this work killer.
I'm in the same boat. Forced into Windows 10 (Education, if it matters) Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. I crash OO once or twice a week, apparently due to some conflict with a Calc spreadsheet running simultaneously with one or more Open Office Writer files. If I'm running only Writer all day then I seem to be fine.
Apache OpenOffice 4.15 AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25
Windows 10 build 17134.228
pranthony

Post by pranthony »

I wonder how we get the [Solved] tag removed from the Subject line. It is far from solved, and that title might be why we don't see more posts on the still existing problem.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Solved tag is applied because the problem was Solved for the original poster. When a topic is reopened by later posters ("Hi-jacking") rather than them starting a fresh thread, the number of possible solutions becomes confusing.
Neyephe

Post by Neyephe »

pranthony wrote:It is Now March 2019 .... Joining others in a long struggle with this problem, It was my suggestion Aug 16, 2018 to uninstalled the Security update noted; BUT then almost ever month since, Windows sent another one to replace it with whatever is the 'OOP' killer bug. Once uninstalled, I got another few weeks of OO usability, and then another Win10 update insisted reboot to load. This process has repeated until February 25th, 2019, when Security update KB4470788 arrived and refused to be uninstalled. Since, my OO work has been dead to me, with the same hard freeze described by many in this forum. The basic OO freeze symptom has never changed; and I have followed / tried all your many past suggestions. Up to this February (2019), only the worrisome uninstalling of Security Updates has temporarily fixed the problem; BUT now Windows 10 refuses to allow the most recent update to be uninstalled. To me it seems Microsoft's Win10 has an effective secret tool to repeatedly discourage OO loyal users out of their Office Market space. I will keep checking back here for a better solution, but hope dims that the OO community has a solid handle on the cause for this work killer.

Still the same issue here as it has been for the last 6-8 months. I have managed to push back the latest update for another week (almost did not catch the "we are about to restart" yesterday). It is very annoying to have the program freeze and crash multiple times resulting in lost work and time in redoing everything. I mainly use the draw program and spreadsheet one If there is a new thread that has been started for this issue (not marked solved) someone please post a link to it here.