Install problems

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
juleers

Install problems

Post by juleers »

I installed the 4.1.5 on my windows 10 lap top and whenever I try to open an Open Office folder, it makes me install it again.When I install it again I get the same results. I have installed it at least 4 times and still can't open any Open office files. Please help.
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Install problems

Post by RusselB »

It sounds like you're clicking the icon to run the installer, rather than the OpenOffice Suite.
I'm going to be making some guesses here, as I don't run Windows 10.
From the Windows menu, do you see an entry (folder) marked something like All Programs
If you do, look under that for an entry (folder) marked OpenOffice 4.1.5
If you get to that, then you should be able to run the OpenOffice suite from the dedicated shortcut, or the respective sections of the suite (Calc, Writer, Base, Draw, etc.) from their specific shortcuts.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you follow the instructions for Downloading and Installing Apache OpenOffice
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

juleers wrote:I installed the 4.1.5 on my windows 10 lap top and whenever I try to open an Open Office folder, it makes me install it again.When I install it again I get the same results. I have installed it at least 4 times and still can't open any Open office files. Please help.
What does "try to open an Open Office folder" mean? Opening a folder doesn't execute any program file including an installation file.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
juleers

Post by juleers »

If I click on the short cut,I can get into the Open Office Suite and use it to create spread sheets, letters etc but if I save it with Open Office I can't open it again. A pop up says "Allow this program to make changes to your computer?" If I click yes,it takes me to the installation wizard again
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

This sounds like the file associations aren't being set or are being reset, in either case, and/or as a check, try the instructions in [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Far too many users are unable to cope with Windows 10. Nevertheless, nothing stops them trying to use it anyway. No, you can not run Windows software with Windows 10 just because you were able to install it. You have to unlock your installed software (unless it is a Microsoft product, of course). I've forgotten how that "security feature" is called which does not prevent starting the software but prevents it writing files. I think its main feature is distracting people from using the software they want to use.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Allow this program to make changes to your computer
This is usually the response Windows gives you when you try to install a program.
but if I save it with Open Office I can't open it again
Please describe exactly what you do to try and "open it again" A screenshot may help. [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers