[Solved] OpenOffice changes icons of Rich Text documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Sam825

[Solved] OpenOffice changes icons of Rich Text documents

Post by Sam825 »

When I installed the latest Open Office on a PC with Windows 7, all the icons of my Rich Text documents changed look. I did not like that. I had expected that Open Office would leave the old documents alone and only introduce a new icon for newly created documents. Obviously this is a flaw in the software. Maybe some developers will read this and can change that in future versions.
I had to uninstall Open Office and then restore my system to an earlier date to get the old document icons back.
Obviously I will newer use Open Office again.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Win_x86

Windows 7 Professional
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Open Office changes icons of Rich Text documents

Post by Bill »

Sam825 wrote:Obviously this is a flaw in the software. Maybe some developers will read this and can change that in future versions.
Obviously OpenOffice was changed to the default program for opening RTF files which changed the icon. Icons are related to the default program, not the file name extension. It's not a flaw. It's how things work in Windows.
Sam825 wrote:I had to uninstall Open Office and then restore my system to an earlier date to get the old document icons back.
Obviously I will newer use Open Office again.
Obviously you could just have changed the default program setting back to whatever was opening RTF files before you installed OpenOffice. You didn't have to uninstall OpenOffice or restore your system.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Sam825

Re: OpenOffice changes icons of Rich Text documents

Post by Sam825 »

Thank you for explaining. Maybe this can be useful to know for other ordinary users.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Closed] OpenOffice changes icons of Rich Text documents

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.