OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Postby Arbe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Hiya,

I know others had some issues before but when I try and click on the solutions (or what I think may be them) here on this forum I also get an error code that the relevant page is not available - besides none of the ones I found related to Windows 10 so here I go fresh.

I have used OO for years with no problems and will continue to do so but when I have to write a quick quote or invoice for a customer and it takes me ages due to the constant crashes it becomes rather time consuming...

So I only use Text Documents so I am not sure if it happens in other documents as well. I open a new or existing page and start either changing and typing and sometimes I manage to write a few sentences - other times i crashes after just a few letters - tells me an unexpected error occurred and OO needs to shut and start the recovery process - then I have to click on start recovery and ok for the document to open again.

I am using Version 4.1.5 and Windows 10 64 bit

I cant remember when it first started but at least 6-8 weeks ago but I have been traveling in between and only now have the time to possibly fix it.

I have not yet de-installed and re-installed as I read in one of the other posts that that did not help... so left it for now But I did try and update it and got an error message there as well - apparently the server cant connect

Also I noticed also - that some files I created in OO and saved on my desktop cant be opened again at all and are blanked out - so I only know by their file extension that they are OO ... might be 3 different issues I am having but I put them all in here as they may or may not be connected.

Thanks for any ideas
OpenOffice4.15 on Windows 10
Arbe

Re: OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Postby FJCC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:14 pm

You probably need to reset your user profile. To do that, first shutdown OpenOffice. Then open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top of the window. That will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Right click on that folder, select Rename and set the name to user_old. Restart OpenOffice and you should get the registration screen. After filling that out, is OpenOffice stable?
AOO 3.4 or 4.1 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: OO keeps crashing and update gets error messages as well

Postby robleyd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:18 am

But I did try and update it and got an error message there as well - apparently the server cant connect

This problem has been reported as a bug - please see [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails You are currently using the most recent version - 4.1.5 - of AOO so there is no upgrade available at the moment. Try FJCC'c suggestion to resolve your problem.

You can always get the latest version of AOO via http://www.openoffice.org/download/ or by clicking on the download icon at the bottom of every page in the forum. When a new version is available, an announcement will be posted as a sticky topic in many places in the forum.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Return to MS Windows