Java needed?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
1madmouse

Java needed?

Post by 1madmouse »

How do we get all the functions in OpenOffice when no browsers support Java, but OpenOffice has to have it to work correctly?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 Ultimate
RoryOF

Re: Java needed?

Post by RoryOF »

Download and install a 32 bit Java and select it in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Java.

Nothing to do with the browser.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Most users do not need Java. Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
1madmouse

Post by 1madmouse »

I didn't think I really needed Java, but am getting a notice that some parts of OpenOffice will not work without java, that is why i asked. Whats up with that? I went to OpenOffice writer and clicked on letter, then got message, "OpenOffice requires Java runtime environment to perform task. Install JRE and restart OpenOffice". So I am going by what I am seeing, if that is not right, then I would like to know if I have to have it or do I ignore that message? Kind of crappy that none of the browsers support Java anymore.

Oh and how old would Christopher Robin be now?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I may be having a senior moment but I can't find what you are referring to when you say "went to OpenOffice writer and clicked on letter". Can you be a little more specific?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One has to dig into http://www.java.com and find files marked i586; these are 32 bit Java. I think (not certain) they are in the Archive area. Once installed - this can live alongside 64 bit Java - the 32 bit Java should be selected in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Java.

Whether one _needs_ the Java or not for functionality, my preference is to install it and avoid nagging screens, which normally pop-up when one is working against a deadline.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

In the linked forum topic I have tried to answer all questions regarding OpenOffice/LibreOffice and Java.
How to download, install and activate the right version for your operating system. 32-bit versus 64-bit is the important distinction when running MS Windows. OpenOffice for Windows is always 32-bit software. LibreOffice distributes 32 and 64-bit versions for Windows.
Which features are missing when you don't have Java installed? They are all(?) listed there. LibreOffice rewrote some minor features in other languages to get rid of some Java dependencies.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As my main use of OO is for writing, I always have LanguageTool installed; this requires Java. Also, one or two esoteric extensions (for older versions), which I am slowly trying to update for modern versions of OO, are written in Java.

Because of this, I cannot answer for the need of java in OO "out of the box" installations, but bow to Villeroy's knowledge..
1madmouse

Post by 1madmouse »

OK when I first open OO, I clicked on the first thing I see, Text document, then clicked on file, then clicked on wizard, then on letter. That is when I see the notice about Java.

Also get a server error when I try to update the program. I do have Java 64 bit but will have to get 32 bit also.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, that wizard depends on Java. Install a 32-bit Java and everything will be fine. Or install LibreOffice.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Also get a server error when I try to update the program
See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92718&hilit=update+server+error
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers