Free OpenOffice downloads

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
TinkRbelle

Free OpenOffice downloads

Post by TinkRbelle »

Are there still free copies of OpenOffice that can be downloaded? I have downloaded and installed version 4.1.3 in my Win 10 laptop and I am now getting messages from Microsoft saying that I need to install MS office 365 for $99.00 per month while I am working in my OpenOffice in Word compatible mode. I am unable to do anything else in my OpenOffice once the messages start up. I did not know that MS now owns OpenOffice and I am very confused.

I would appreciate some clarification of this issue if someone can help me.
Tink - OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7 and Vista
FJCC

Re: Free OpenOffice downloads

Post by FJCC »

There is no charge to use OpenOffice and Microsoft does not own it. Download OpenOffice only from www.openoffice.org. The download process there will lead you eventually to a page on SourceForge from which the OpenOffice installation files will automatically download. Do not click any links on the SourceForge site.
I do not know what you mean by the "Word compatible mode" of OpenOffice. Do you mean you saved the document in the .doc format? If you have a .doc file saved and you double click on its icon, it may be that Word starts up and Microsoft asks to be paid. Is that what is happening? If so, look up Default Application for Windows 10 and make OpenOffice the default application for .doc files. I am not on a Windows machine at the moment, so I can't give you detailed instructions.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
TinkRbelle

Post by TinkRbelle »

Hi FJCC,

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply, and the very helpful information. Yes, you are correct in that I wanted to save the documents in the Word format in OpenOffice. I have used OpenOffice for some time and and never got any such types of MS messages. However, I recently upgraded to the 4.1.3 version and was very surprised to see these types of messages.

I will do some further testing and see if the problem can be resolved. Again, thank you for your time and help. (smile)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Never store your important documents in a foreign, obsolote fole format, like the MS .doc fileformat. Use the International Standard ODF file formats.
Note:
There is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file formats.
Every office suite can work in its native file format.

The AOO Writer must convert the .doc type files (".doc to .odt") at the opening, and it must convert the document (".odt to .doc") at saving of the document - when you use the .doc file format. The lot of the conversion procedures will cause some errors in the formatting properties...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
TinkRbelle

Post by TinkRbelle »

Hi Zizi64,
Thank you so much for the additional information. I all the time that I have been using OpenOffice, which has been several years, I have never had this kind of issue before. I have MS Office installed on my PC, and OpenOffice on my laptop, and work with documents created in each format on both my PC and laptop. This is the first time such an issue has happened, so that is why I was so surprised when I got the strange messages about MS. The information provided by both you and FJCC have helped me better understand the issue a bit better and why I am seeing what I'm seeing from MS. I thought at first that it might be malware or a virus, but, ran a series of malware and AV software and nothing was found. Thus, it figured it must be something else.

I truly appreciate your time to help with this issue. (smile)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To set the default application, see: [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TinkRbelle

Post by TinkRbelle »

Thank you for the link, Hagar Delest. I will certainly check it out.