All of My OpenOffice Documents Have Changed to Word Docs

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
keepitmoving

All of My OpenOffice Documents Have Changed to Word Docs

Post by keepitmoving »

Hi Guys!

All of my open office documents have somehow mysteriously turned into word documents. Is there anyway to change this back so I don't have to buy word? I only use it at home for personal use so don't want to have to buy word if I don't have to. Also, I'm not very good at computer technical stuff so if you could tell me in easy terms I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so very much for your time!
Open Office 4 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: All of My Open Office Documents Have Changed to Word Doc

Post by RoryOF »

They haven't. A Windows update has caused Ms Word to assume responsibility for opening them. Change the default program to open them back to OpenOffice. Look up "File Associations" or "Default program" to find out how do this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
careerglade

Post by careerglade »

What worked for me: go to Open Office and go to File and go to Open (or sometimes 'Recent Documents') and open the file directly from Open Office. Voila: there it will be unharmed and ready for your editing.

What does not work: Using the folder icon for 'Windows Explorer' to be able to see all file types and opening it from there because the default program Microsoft Word will then open it and as you know, not allow you to edit/change anything because we haven't purchased ('activated') Microsoft Word (in an attempt to save a few hundred dollars by not buying Microsoft Office Suite).

Had the same problem and agree with the other writer that it's just Word attempting to open the Open Office document (and even rich text format documents made in Open Office) because Word is a default program. I can't find in setting searches 'default program' and so on as recommended to change it but I'm sure there is a way for those who can find it.
Open Office 4.1.5 installed on Windows 10 Verion 1803. 64 bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

careerglade wrote:I can't find in setting searches 'default program' and so on as recommended to change it but I'm sure there is a
way for those who can find it.
Click the Start button and search for Default Programs or Default Apps. In Settings, look for Default Apps.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04